OpenCPN Help

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I'm trying to download ENC's from the government site(s) to my MacBookAir on which OpenCPN version 4.00 is installed. In 2015/2016 I successfully did this and I can open and view those charts. I'm not taking this aboard. I want to study the local waters in my new home waters of St. Lucie River, Indian River and near shore AO. So far I haven't been successful. The first chart I would like is the US3FL30M. I've downloaded it and get a ENC_Root in my download file. Double clicking it opens a screen with 2 txt files (ReadMe & UserAgreement) and a file with the chart name. Double clicking that opens a page of gibberish after the unzipper I downloaded this AM from the Apple Store is done with it. I was offered no choice of where to put the file on my laptop. Should I update the OpenCPN and if so how? Or should I re-start from downloading the current OpenCPN onto a newly liberated PC from my office with Windows7? Or is there a simple fix on my Mac (Which I would rather use).

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
I remember some what the same issues years ago with a Windows machine. My problem was unzipping the data file. Later I tried just installing the data file without unzipping and it extracted the needed files automatically. I don't recall if it needed to be in a certain location or folder. I think you can search for the file. It is only using the needed files and nothing more.

Again, this was years ago on a Windows machine.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I haven't used OpenCPN for a long while. I had been using MacENC which uses the NOAA files.

With MacENC, you must locate the ENC Root folder from within MacENC and then you can access the catalog file. I can't recall if you then must download the specific charts you need or if the program will open them. OpenCPN might work in a similar fashion.

Jan 11, 2014
One other thought.

C-Maps has a free online program with all the charts you need. https://letsembark.io/core/map

There is also a companion iOS/Android app that has a number of features including route planning. Charts are available for a reasonable fee on a subscription basis.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Why not go to cruisersforum and ask there? The guys who wrote the program are there 24/7 to help with just this type of question.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
As always, what Stu said. They are very helpful, and quick to respond, over there.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
For the fun of it I just downloaded and installed OpenCPN on my older Windows 7 machine. Once installed, I saw that there was no folder for charts. So I created on in the primary OpenCPN folder.

Next, I went to https://www.charts.noaa.gov/RNCs/RNCs.shtml and downloaded the charts for Region 12 (my area of sailing). I put the whole zip file in the Chart folder and unzipped it. It contained a lot of folders that are identified by the Chart Number.

Next I went into the settings menu, charts, and highlighted the location of the charts. I then went down to the bottom of that tab and told the software to force rebuild the directory and pressed the prepare ENC charts. I pressed OK and that tab closed and a smaller window opened saying something like preparing charts.

I then connected my GPS, set the COM port to the correct value, and that was it. Charts are loaded and GPS put me 12 miles from my boat (I am doing this at home).

Good luck

Jan 11, 2014
For the fun of it I just downloaded and installed OpenCPN on my older Windows 7 machine. Once installed, I saw that there was no folder for charts. So I created on in the primary OpenCPN folder.

Next, I went to https://www.charts.noaa.gov/RNCs/RNCs.shtml and downloaded the charts for Region 12 (my area of sailing). I put the whole zip file in the Chart folder and unzipped it. It contained a lot of folders that are identified by the Chart Number.

Next I went into the settings menu, charts, and highlighted the location of the charts. I then went down to the bottom of that tab and told the software to force rebuild the directory and pressed the prepare ENC charts. I pressed OK and that tab closed and a smaller window opened saying something like preparing charts.

I then connected my GPS, set the COM port to the correct value, and that was it. Charts are loaded and GPS put me 12 miles from my boat (I am doing this at home).

Good luck
I also downloaded OpenCPN on my Mac running Mojave (10.45). The program makes it sort of easy to download and install charts. First create a folder in which the charts will live. Next, under options go to Chart Downloader, work your way through the Chart Downloader and down load the charts you want. This is a 2 (or more) step process. First, download the catalog and then select the charts you want to download. I'm sure that once you get the hang of it, it will be simple and straightforward.