Dent in mast from spreaders

Jun 23, 2017
NorthStar 22 Catalina 22 (under restoration) Lake Red Rock
When we rescued our Cat22 it was clear one spreader had hit something hard. The spreader mount was twisted pretty good and when we removed it we found this.
(Yes, the spacer was installed between the two mounts).
Any suggestions?
image.jpeg

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
it's fixable. so maybe an auto body/collision shop neat tools to pull it back out. or, machine shop/metal shop could cut out the wound and beat it into shape/reinforce it then weld the piece back into place. it is very doable.

May 25, 2012
here in toledo i would go see my bud, reggie butz at butz welding. he can do any thing.
do you think he got teased in grade school?

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
The buckling of the metal concerns me. I'm not a metallurgist or anything close but it seems to me that tubes of metal depend on the wall's integrity to to transfer forces down the column. Maybe there's a repair, or maybe not. It may be like the smoke juju. i.e. you can't put it back.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
By the way, if I was in Toledo I'd go to Reggie on my way to Central Hot Dog (If it still exists).

May 25, 2012
tony packo's is the big name in hot dogs that i know. clinger on mash used to talk of it as well.

reggie is a master of metal. he could certainly do a repair :)

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Catalina Jaguar 22 Simons Town
here in toledo i would go see my bud, reggie butz at butz welding. he can do any thing.
do you think he got teased in grade school?
I'm sure he was the butz of many a joke... must have been a right pain in the butz!

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Catalina Jaguar 22 Simons Town
I would epoxy bond a section of new "aluminum" to both side of the mast like an oval shaped correctly contoured doubler plate and just re-drill the appropriate holes. Its amazing how aluminium is bonded in fabrication of cars and planes parts these days!

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
I would epoxy bond a section of new "aluminum" to both side of the mast like an oval shaped correctly contoured doubler plate and just re-drill the appropriate holes. Its amazing how aluminium is bonded in fabrication of cars and planes parts these days!
I read something recently about fighter jet wings being glued on. I was completely surprised, but that may be due to my not being that smart-