Belize on a Leopard 45

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
The sober captain dodging shallows is myself.

It’s against Belizean law to go outside the reef without a local guide.

But not so sober at night at anchor.
Last night we picked up thousands of stowaways. We have been evicting them since. This photo is after the first cleaning.
676BEE8C-4555-44F1-94B4-933C7B7015F3.jpeg

How did you pass the Barrier Reef? Under sail?

Who is the drunk Captain?
Jim...
m

May 20, 2016
Wind shift. Put us in very shallow water at 3am. We powered forward and shortened scope and now sitting with 5’ under the keel. Thank goodness for anchor alarms!

Right now it’s a tropical downpour, with thunder and sheet lightning

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
After setting 2 anchors and sitting comfortably for over 12 hours, nothing sets the adrenaline pumping like a little 0300 excitement, wind shift, anchor alarm and thunderstorm.

Identifying where you are in the pitch dark, among the bright flashes. Sensing you’ve been spun about, and then trying to calmly adjust the boat till sunrise so you can know not guess what to do.

It is an exhilarating feeling to be on the bow wind and tropical rain in your face pulling a line or assessing your anchor chain.

Even better to know you are not on the reef, your anchors are holding, and get back in the salon where you can dry the off and catch an hour of sleep before daybreak.

Oct 22, 2014
The ladies are having fun laying in the water behind the boat sipping rum passion.

42101436-094C-4A29-AB37-E5A4BB6A0A86.jpeg

Trish (Les’s first mate) befriended two local fellas who are caretakers for an island resort. They showed her the local Iguana and gathered some coconuts as a treat of coconut water for the boat.
5B670853-1A82-4E1E-9077-A2F952BBE7BA.jpeg

In trade we are charging their cellphone. This resort has a restaurant, beach, tiki bar, two cabins, staff cabin and is available to a person who has about a million and a desire to live here in a Belize paradise.
D60FEC2D-EFC4-4AEA-A645-4C11E8E19F8B.jpeg
Blue Ground Range

Our hunt for Manatee (reportedly in the area) has so far been unsuccessful. We have searched three mangrove island groups. Beginning to think it is tourist phishing bait.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Wind shift. Put us in very shallow water at 3am. We powered forward and shortened scope and now sitting with 5’ under the keel. Thank goodness for anchor alarms!
nothing sets the adrenaline pumping like a little 0300 excitement, wind shift, anchor alarm and thunderstorm.
What's with you guys and 3am alarms?

May 20, 2016
Had a fantastic dinner ashore then gelato for desert. Sun has set, dark as tobins ass, then the lightning and torrential rain starts. Which boat is ours?? Every one is soaked. I’m confused as I’m looking for the fore deck light. As I get closer, we’ve swing 180 deg. Every one gets back on boat safe, but @jssailem did a dive into the dink before it was started. He claims the dock disappeared under him. I think it was the rum punch. I had dragon fruit mojito yummy.

Oct 22, 2014
Written on Saturday morning but unable to send. Then there was the events of Sunday night described by Les above. I’m saying it was the dock. Two rum passion could not have affected me....... I’ll get pictures.

After our stormy night we raised anchor and headed south. We had gone as far north as Tobaco Cay. Now we are going heading back towards Placencia. One of the couples wants to try Zip-lining in the Jungle.

We say good bye to the fellows on Blue Ground Range. Return the now charged phone and share some of our fruit with Dave and Ian.
Next stop Whipray Cay. We hear there may be beer, ice and good snorkeling.

We arrived and no mooring balls. The map and promised moorings are often different when you arrive at a Cay. We are learning “it’s just Belize “.

We anchor in the one good holding spot on the west side of this tiny mangrove Cay. We hop in the dinghy and head two shore to explore. Greeted by two big dogs with bad breath. The place looks deserted. We send one of the women to investigate. The come back saying a unhappy maintenance guy says the island is closed. Shut down for the season.

We head back to the boat. Drinks no ice tonight. We grab our snorkeling gear and head out to the northern end of the Cay.

Head under the water we meet a whole new world. Corals, fish, bright sand patches.
This is not like Hawaii. There is algae everywhere covering the coral. Reportedly it is a critical symbiotic relationship needed for the reef survival. Colors are not as vivid as those we experienced in Hawaii.

Jim and Beth make the crew a fabulous steak dinner. We found a bottle of wine in the stores and it is a good compliment to our meal, even if it is from Chile and is a 2017.

Les and I are bushed. The girls want to play cards and keep points. This will not end well. I seek my Port cabin he the starboard side. We were both up most of the night fighting the storm and poor holding.

I do not like the 35 lb stainless steel delta look alike anchor they put on this boat. It does not bite well and is under sized for this boat. Our only survival in the storm was the 35 lb dansforth lookalike. It is a bugger to retrieve.

That is it for now. Photos coming as I unload the camera today.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
You expect us to believe that you are actually in Belize on a 45' catamaran when all that you send us are some stock photos from the travel agency??!!! :wink:
Well I guess there was the one "fly" thing.:laugh:
We hope to get a lot more photos once you get back to civilization and have some bandwidth.

Oct 22, 2014
There was the story of the great storm.
I was accused of stumbling due to participation in the furthering of Rum Punch celebrations.

But in the light of day all will be revealed. I had helped each of the crew into the dinghy. Still holding the dock line tight I started to board. In the dark I could now see the hole at the edge. I lost my balance and in a flash of acrobatic aplomb I dove onto the boat landing mostly on the inflated tube and dinghy floor.
4A94AE59-9495-4CB1-A82A-303EB7B09E10.jpeg

I feel fortunate to be alive. Not so lucky, I landed on my phone and cracked the screen.

Oct 22, 2014
One more day and a wake up here in Belize.
C0A3E2EF-E681-4065-9FEF-07B79863390A.jpeg 5538BE19-1BE1-42BD-9FB5-D711C80659DC.jpeg BE19AAF1-1A25-4C72-92B3-9E5ECBA68EB6.jpeg
Our last day has us visit I sit here coffee just delivered with the birds chirping and whistling in the palms. The perfume of this tropical country fills the air on the gentle breeze.

We are headed in land today. To see Mayan Temples near San Ignacio and the Guatemalan Border. Then a drift down a river through some lime stone caves.
More later.

Oct 22, 2014
Well 5 hours and counting.
Will give you a summary with pictures when we get back to unlimited WiFi.
Another hot humid day in paradise. The hotel was nice to send us by shuttle to the place my wife wanted to have breakfast.
Maya Hotel Bistro. It was a 4 mile and 7 speed bump ride.

Oct 22, 2014
Well 5 hours and counting.
Will give you a summary with pictures when we get back to unlimited WiFi.
Another hot humid day in paradise. The hotel was nice to send us by shuttle to the place my wife wanted to have breakfast.
Hotel Dining Room with AC none in lobby. Temps 88. Humidity 87. Breeze light. Sky clear with sun.
image.jpg

Hope the small commercial plane has working AC. Maya Island Air.