M25 hard to start

Harlan

Jun 4, 2004
Oday 34 Niantic
My '83 OD34 M25 is hard to start this year. Looking for help. Here's what I have learned so far: only an issue at a cold start; engine turns over fine (not a battery or starter issue - new batteries this year); engine runs great once started - idles smoothly (for a M25), runs at speed under load for hours with no problem, no smoke, etc; after 15 secs or so of glow plug I crank for maybe 5 secs with no firing, wait 10 secs and repeat, on second or 3rd try engine starts to fire and then, with help from the starter it finally starts; once started runs fine. Restarts instantly once warm.

Other bits of info: put new injectors in this winter, new exhaust system (so no blockage), voltage at glow plugs when energized is about 9 volts (has original thru-the-wiring-to-the-push-button glow plug wiring - no relay), each glow plug reads about 1.9 ohms tested individually.

I suspect glow plugs but understand they are rated 10 volts (not 12 volts) so actual 9 volts would still give 80% of heating power - doesn't seem that would be enough to cause the problem but maybe. (Anyone know 100% that the 10 volt rating is correct? If 12 volt nominal then the 9 volts is only 56% power and that sounds like trouble.) I plan to add a glow plug relay but don't have a strong feeling that will be the cure.

Have searched websites for help and come up dry given circumstances above. Any advice would be appreciated.

Jul 23, 2009
Beneteau 31 Oceanis Grand Lake, Oklahoma
Question, if you start it cold and shut it off after 10 seconds and let it sit for 10 minuets how does it restart?

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I was going to guess plugs but you have already thought of that... how old is your fuel? Could there be condensation in the fuel and it is a little wet? Maybe a shot of one of those genie in a bottle formulas to dry it out (sea foam?)

Jul 23, 2009
Beneteau 31 Oceanis Grand Lake, Oklahoma
For genie in a bottle I would use Power Service in the silver bottle. Boosts cetaine and should improve starting.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
With no relay you need about 45 seconds on the gp. Strongly recommend a gp relay and another relay to the starter solenoid. Makes all the difference.

Harlan

Jun 4, 2004
Oday 34 Niantic
Relay installed. 10 secs of glow plug and away we go! Nice! thanks for the help.