Loss of Sailing Super Yacht

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
rick, when a ship leaves the dock to go to sea, gear like cranes will be dogged down like it was to go through a hurricane. the generators that power the cranes would be off line as well. the crew members that operate the cranes will be doing those jobs that they do underway that are totally different than the jobs they do while in port. the article mentioned that the cradle was set up by the sailboats crew while loading the vessel. the sailboats crew would not be on the ship while at sea. if the vessel was in heavy seas, and i do not know that it was, the last thing a ships crew would do is take off all the securing gear to the cranes and start swinging them around. also, when a ship starts moving cranes and cargo the crew will need to counter those movements with water ballast and that takes time. all that gear takes a long time to ready and warm up and man. cargo is replaceable, the crew ain't. ships do not operate anything like these toys we play on.
i don't know what your smelling rick :)

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Carbon fiber, strong, light, brittle. I suspect that they made the cradle out of this stuff. With a slick flat boat bottom, there was nothing to do but watch it launch itself over the side.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
rick, when a ship leaves the dock to go to sea, gear like cranes will be dogged down like it was to go through a hurricane. the generators that power the cranes would be off line as well. the crew members that operate the cranes will be doing those jobs that they do underway that are totally different than the jobs they do while in port. the article mentioned that the cradle was set up by the sailboats crew while loading the vessel. the sailboats crew would not be on the ship while at sea. if the vessel was in heavy seas, and i do not know that it was, the last thing a ships crew would do is take off all the securing gear to the cranes and start swinging them around. also, when a ship starts moving cranes and cargo the crew will need to counter those movements with water ballast and that takes time. all that gear takes a long time to ready and warm up and man. cargo is replaceable, the crew ain't. ships do not operate anything like these toys we play on.
i don't know what your smelling rick :)
Well, Jon, thank you for your synopsis. I never imagined in this mode of transport that the ship and her crew are so helpless in stopping this type of loss. The company statement led me to believe that they had procedures in place to attempt to prevent damage and loss of cargo. Good to have insurance.
Rick

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
Well, Jon, thank you for your synopsis. I never imagined in this mode of transport that the ship and her crew are so helpless in stopping this type of loss. The company statement led me to believe that they had procedures in place to attempt to prevent damage and loss of cargo. Good to have insurance.
Rick
Rick, your statement is like saying that there is something that the driver (crew) of a flat-bed simi-truck can do something to prevent the loss of a load of lumber when a strap breaks while the truck is traveling down the highway. The preventative measures are all in the loading and securing before leaving the dock. While at sea, any work at securing the load is due to an emergence and very limited in scope.

Oct 1, 2007
Rick, your statement is like saying that there is something that the driver (crew) of a flat-bed simi-truck can do something to prevent the loss of a load of lumber when a strap breaks while the truck is traveling down the highway. The preventative measures are all in the loading and securing before leaving the dock. While at sea, any work at securing the load is due to an emergence and very limited in scope.
Look guys, I'm not trying to start an argument over this. I yield to all your collective wisdom. I will say that if I ever had occasion to ship my boat somewhere using this mode, I wouldn't. :)

Jim26m

Apr 3, 2019
Macgregor 26M Mobile AL
I find this sort of thing intriguing. The boat owner supplies the cradle that allegedly failed, causing the boat to disappear into the deep. It's a wonder that there isn't a YouTube video of it going over the side... Catastrophic large structural failures are often over before anyone realizes what's happening - which may explain the lack of a public video record. Watch the elevated walkway collapse in Florida. It was there, then it wasn't.

In the unlikely event that the crew saw the cradle failing, the best course of action was to run the other way. There is virtually nothing that anyone can do quickly to save something that large (unless you come from Krypton, and have an S on your chest). If it were mine, I wouldn't want a crewman to die trying to save it. If it was my cradle that failed, I wouldn't blame the transporter.

Now, to Rick's point. I would definitely want to see the remains of my cradle fully secured to the deck of the ship...

Oct 1, 2007
I would definitely want to see the remains of my cradle fully secured to the deck of the ship...
....good point....there may be a few more pages to turn on this...

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
upload_2019-6-2_19-42-46.png

There's a time when the shit comes down that you just want to get away from it. Rescue is off the table. The ship had other clients yachts aboard. One loss is better than a bigger disaster. In a figurative sense I would have kicked it over board like I'd cut a unruly dingy painter.
Looking at the picture, it would amazing if he BIG boat just departed without affecting the yachts to port of it. If it's cradle just buckled to starboard, and the lines didn't shift it to stern or port...

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
When big (100 ton) things start to fall out of structures that were designed to hold them in place, GET THE HE2L OUT OF THE WAY. No boat is worth an human life. In particular when it is not your own.

The boat had its own cradle. The 'crew' mentioned in the reports where probably its SHORE crew, who knew of its loading process. The thing had a crew-appointed loadmaster. The transport crew is not prepared to keep failing things on the boat. Something broke, or someone made a mistake. That happens. Anyone who thinks there is some conspiracy to this does not understand the way the world works. Please see "Hanlon's razor"

Oct 2, 2008
Please see "Hanlon's razor"
I remember sitting in a chief’s office trying to explain why one particular duty shift caused him such headaches. Your quote is simpler and to the point.

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
With all the lines attached to it, I'd bet it didn't go over all at once. I'm betting they cut it loose to minimize damage.

Since this shipper specializes in Yacht shipment, you might think they would have holes in the deck, so the yachts could sit at deck level. I toured a 70 footer that was on land. They removed the keel so it could be easily boarded. I would think if you are transporting a boat, it would be much better to unbolt the keel.

Leaving the mast up makes sense, as it is probably the safest place to store it. Lay it down on the deck, it is not supported, and could be easy damaged by something as simple as a fork lift.

Oct 2, 2008
Leaving the mast up makes sense, as it is probably the safest place to store it. Lay it down on the deck, it is not supported, and could be easy damaged by something as simple as a fork lift.
They could make a cradle for the mast. Sorry I couldn’t resist.

:poke:

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
. I’m not familiar with the boat, but it looks from the photo of the recovered boat that it may have what I would call leeboards that were retracted up into the hull. There is no evidence of a vertical keel or points of attachment. If that was the case, the hull itself would not have been on a particularly tall cradle, not that it makes any difference if the cradle failed.

Jim26m

Apr 3, 2019
Macgregor 26M Mobile AL
Keel is on it. Look further forward than you think it should be and zoom in. Hard to make out unless you look hard.

Cradle was tall based on pics earlier in the thread.

Yikes! Gonna take a lot of polishing

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
I can't think it is worth much to repair. The boat is built to be light weight. As soon as you start patching it, it will weigh more. Not only that, but the weight will not be symmetrical. As a cruiser, sure it will be OK, but for racing, it has been compromised. I sailed on a 70 footer that was a former racing boat. It was detuned for use as a tourist boat. I could see this boat being used for that, but not much else.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
The owner is a billionaire who made a fortune in the fashion (cashmere) business. He builds and collects beautiful things. That thing is totaled wreck. I'm guessing NO WAY he wants anything to do with it, unless it has some crazy sentimental value. He'll take the check and start on a new one. One that correct all the little things weren't perfect on that one.

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
The owner is a billionaire who made a fortune in the fashion (cashmere) business. He builds and collects beautiful things. That thing is totaled wreck. I'm guessing NO WAY he wants anything to do with it, unless it has some crazy sentimental value. He'll take the check and start on a new one. One that correct all the little things weren't perfect on that one.
Yes. His $38M yacht only represents about 2.4 percent of his net worth at $1.6B.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2007
I'm glad to see she was recovered. I find it surprising and interesting that the keel survived the tragedy. It looks from this view that she impacted her starboard side on something, although we can't see the port side. If the cradle had collapsed wouldn't the keel had been damaged? I could talk myself into believing the cradle broke loose and dumped her over the side. I'd like to read the transcripts of the insurance company's interviews with the ship's crew. There may yet be pages to turn on this....