Installing an inverter

Jun 1, 2019
Catalina Catalina 30 MK III Sausalito, CA
I have a 2003 Catalina 30 MK III that does not have an inverter. I plan on doing a lot of coastal cruising and would like to be able to power my 110 v stuff while underway. I have not been able to find any information on choosing the right inverter and installing it. Does anyone out there have any advice? My inclination at this time is to go to the yard and have them do it.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
How can they install something if you don't know what you want.

Go to West Marine Advisors, they explain how to size it. You figure the loads you anticipate to all be on at the same time. Judicious management can help size it properly - don't run the toaster, hair dryer, coffee pot and your drill press at the same time. :)

Then you have to decide, if based on that, whether you want to power all your AC devices through your main AC breaker or if the inverter will only power some of them.

Most inverters have instruction manuals which you can download before you purchase any unit.

Good luck.

Oct 22, 2014
Pearson P303 #221 RockPort Maine
How can they install something if you don't know what you want.

Go to West Marine Advisors, they explain how to size it. You figure the loads you anticipate to all be on at the same time. Judicious management can help size it properly - don't run the toaster, hair dryer, coffee pot and your drill press at the same time. :)

Then you have to decide, if based on that, whether you want to power all your AC devices through your main AC breaker or if the inverter will only power some of them.

Most inverters have instruction manuals which you can download before you purchase any unit.

Good luck.
Like Stu said! Also, look on google and youtube. type in your search,
" How to choose the right size power inverter" Do some research online and read reviews too.
Most yards do not have licensed electrical personnel. So do your homework first. Just saying!
Capt. Rob

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
That should be your last option.
Don, as always, is right.

Look, maeh, think about it this way: Let's say you were redoing your kitchen. Would you go to a contractor and just say, "Redo my kitchen." And then wait til he finished? I doubt it. I think your wife would like to know what kind of cabinets: closed, open, glass front, material. I think you'd both be interested in the appliances: energy star ratings, colors, manufacturers, type of fridge - freezer below or above, side by side doors, ice maker...

You HAVE to know what you want, more-so in boating even than kitchen remodels. :)

We're not pulling your leg, we're simply asking you to do the homework and research necessary to avoid being disappointed, and eventually saying, "Oh, if I'd only known..."

Besides, learning can be fun! :)

And if you already know what you want and why (and didn't clearly say so), we apologize. If all you need to learn is how to install it, you can learn that, too. In fact, it'd be safer if you did, unless you admit to complete lack of faith in your ability to deal with AC current, which could be a good thing.

But you could still learn that, too.

Good luck.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
If you decide to do it yourself remember these: Install in a well ventilated location as near to the batteries as you can to minimize voltage drop. Anything over 400 Watts needs to be hardwired and properly fused. What is your stuff? If you are talking a TV, DVD player, Computer and phone chargers you could do with a stand alone 1000 watts inverter. You can easily install yourself for around $300. Want lamps and microwave oven get a 3000 watts. The stand alone units do not interface with your boat's 120V electrical system and they usually have 2 or 3 receptacles where you can plug and run extension cords to the appliances. It is better to extend the 120V side rather than the 12V side. Larger units to interface with your electrical system will run up wards of $1,500. Your decision should respond to your needs. Just giving you some other options.

Attachments

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2009
Beneteau 31 Oceanis Grand Lake, Oklahoma
Do you have any specific question?
I just installed an inverter/charger on my RV. Used it successfully last weekend.
A few things that I learned:
1. I need more solar.
2. I need larger batteries but I don't have space for them at this time.
3. I need a second/larger charger. When I turn off the inverter to save power the charger is also turned off, it will also not pass shore power through. This is inconvenient! I'm sure it's a safety feature.

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
Make sure whatever you choose it is pure sine wave and not modified sine wave .I installed a 2000 watt pure sine wave with remote at chart table ,with an A/C inter-lock .I can make coffee with Keurig ,run microwave ,etc. All my outlets work. Just make sure water heater, battery charger and air con is off. Go with a good name like xnatrex or samlex and that it is ul, etl,ulc or csa approved ,wire size ,type of wire and fused right

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
maehslane:

The questions that will probably be involved include...
  • What size alternator(s) do you have? What type of battery regulator(s) do you have?
  • What is your battery situation in terms to type, ah's, age, etc.?
  • What current charging equipment do you currently have?
  • What is your expectation on use of the AC equipment when away from a dock?
  • What is your pattern of cruising/sailing (length of sails, away from docks with power, etc., etc.?)