Stantion replace on an o'day 34

Aug 7, 2018
Catalina 350 Great Sodus Bay, Lake Ontario
I have 2 stanchions that are bent, The port side near the cabin bulkhead is impossible to see or even feel. Does anyone know if this is through bolted or is there going to be a backing plate and nuts? I was thinking of trying to remove them from the top in the hope that they are attached to a plate embedded. If they are not I was thinking of grinding the heads off the bolts topside to get the base off and then cut away material from inside to reinstall. Silly question is there a fastener that can be done from the top down such as a toggle bolt?

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2018
Interesting link you posted, that is our boat on in the photo. It was named Rosetta Stone and the stanchion has been damaged for years before we bought it last July. Repair is not optional anymore.

Last edited:

Harlan

Jun 4, 2004
Oday 34 Niantic
Been quite a few years since I had to replace some bases on my '83 OD34 but as I recall the stanchions are all thru bolted with large washers - no molded in plates. Some were very difficult to get to but it could be done. (Maybe I was younger and more flexible back when I did it!) I think some required reaching in blind with a socket to get to. I recall replacing a couple by making a metal backing plate with 4 holes rather than trying to balance a washer and nut on a finger tip 4 times.

Aug 7, 2018
Thanks Harlan. Great idea on the backing plate.

Aug 7, 2018
Has anyone had a cracked stanchion welded while on the boat? I am trying to avoid major surgery of the hull liner AND the galley storage area and repair this topside. It's not leaking.

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
Just curious at this point. Are your stanchions separate from the base or all one piece?

Aug 7, 2018
All one piece. They are original to the boat. Some have been replaced with units that can separate.

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
That's what it sounded like. Mine (1985 O'Day 31) are all separate.
For what it's worth, mine are through bolted and it's a bear to get to most of the nuts on the bottom side. I have had to resort to using a multi tool to cut some of the inside areas blocking access to the nuts. Same thing you are trying to avoid.

To me it looks like those those toggles you show wouldn't have enough surface area on the bottom to hold very well unless you could get a pretty good size washer between the toggle part and the underside of the deck. But if you could do that you wouldn't have the original problem right? And, they are pretty pricey!

Let us know if you come up with any magic!

May 6, 2016
O'Day 34 Norfolk
I've got a 1982 34, no backing plates, only washers. No wonder I'm leaking water when it rains. Buy G10 for backing plates (G-10 is a high-pressure fiberglass laminate). I would use G10 over aluminum as it seems easier to cut and one can sand the edges so not so sharp. Cuts pretty easy with a jig saw and tungsten blade ; drill holes with good bit. Several of the stanchions are difficult to get to which makes this job a pain. I've got to re-bed almost all stanchions and the bow pulpit. Expect to get scratches and cuts doing this job.

May 30, 2006
Oday 34 Chesapeake Bay
Haven’t rebedded my stanchions at this time, however I’ve resigned myself to the fact that I’ll need to cut access points into the inside liner to get to the nuts. Most of the ones that I’ve attempted to get to would require a double jointed wrist. Figure that’s it’s better to cut the liner than have surgery on my wrist.