35.5 Legend Rudder bearing replacement

Aug 14, 2011
Hunter 35.5 Legend PCYC Shediac, NB
I have dropped my rudder for some minor repairs to keep the water out and noticed some lower play in the SS Rudder post as it enters the boat hull. There is no bearing or anything at this location. Should there be a bearing or sleeve ? It has some nylon spacers on top below the aluminum steering mechanism.

Can anyone explain how Hunter was originally setup for steering column and where and what type of bearing should be installed?

I will take pictures when I go to the boat tomorrow

Thanks

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
I have about 1/8" play (or maybe just a bit less) in my 1997 h40.5 rudder. I first noticed this play about 2003 and I called the Hunter factory and spoke to Eddy Breen. He told me that some boats have this much play and others have less or nearly none. He went on to say that the bearings have a design life of 50,000 hours, and that he would be very surprised if they were worn enough to require replacement. He asked if I could detect the play in the steering. I could not. His advice was to check it each year and see if it becomes more sloppy.
Now in 2019, play does not appear any worse than in 2003.
Just above the rudder under the hull is a white ring. Mine is a bit loose. This is NOT the lower rudder bearing. It is just a spacer to keep the rudder from rising up against the hull.
Finally, just to keep Eddy honest, and for my own piece of mind, I also contacted two Hunter dealers- one in the Chesapeake where I happened to be at the time, and my dealer in Connecticut. They both confirmed that same info and advice as Eddy.
So there you have my two cents worth, and it is worth every penny......

Aug 14, 2011
Thanks for the response, I have the white spacer ring but didn’t see any bearings when I looked inside. There is about an 1/8 of play so I will just enjoy the sail for this year and look closer next season.

Aug 15, 2013
Hunter 35.5 Legend 003 San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico
Don't forget the rudder floats and will push up when in the water. If you push up when on the hard and the bushing seats and you still have play I would be surprised..

Aug 14, 2011
Don't forget the rudder floats and will push up when in the water. If you push up when on the hard and the bushing seats and you still have play I would be surprised..
I would be surprised to see my rudder float... it weighs about 200 lbs when I had it off. I hear they are positive buoyant but not willing to attempt any heroic tests.