Multi-tasking

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Last night our 4th G-series was called for lack of race-quality breeze. So while most bobbed while waiting for the official abandonment, we sailed our way around the starting area, adjusting our new light air jib and working on spin trim with our light sheets.

After the abandon, we sailed under kite back through the Wayzata Bay channel under spinnaker. Brendon who was trimming got thirsty for a beer, and not wanted to bother anyone, took matters into his own hands.

beer run.jpg

Jan 22, 2008
Islander Freeport, 41 Ketch Longmont, CO
Well, the boom and spin pool look pretty much in line, if anything the outhaul could be eased just a bit to allow the mainsail to fill better. Looking closer, what is the foot of the main caught on? It appears to be stuck abotu half way along the boom.

The real question is, was he being selfish or did he provide for all the crew prior to getting his own?

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
I'm no expert on flying symmetrical Spinnakers but I'll take some guesses. It's so calm that the apparent wind was probably pretty far forward, so I'm thinking the main is probably pretty close to right. In very calm conditions you don't want too much curve in the sail, so having the tight outhaul could be right too.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
I'll sometimes sheet in a little so the main isn't blocking the spin, helps keep the spin full and drawing in REALLY light airs ?

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
JD, looks like you have little opportunity for the main outhaul to be eased...Do you use a 2nd strop or rig for the day?
Brendan: can't see the curl, but at that time, with no racing, really the important curl is a 12oz variety. What beer is on the boat? Victor got it right early

Nov 8, 2010
Well, the boom and spin pool look pretty much in line, if anything the outhaul could be eased just a bit to allow the mainsail to fill better. Looking closer, what is the foot of the main caught on? It appears to be stuck abotu half way along the boom.

The real question is, was he being selfish or did he provide for all the crew prior to getting his own?
The operating range of our outhaul is about 4 inches. Its about 3 inches out. We could have played with it to see if more might have helped. The foot DOES look funny, maybe the skirt is caught on something. We were doing 3 knots in 3 knots of breeze, so yes the AP was forward.

Nov 8, 2010
J
Brendan: can't see the curl, but at that time, with no racing, really the important curl is a 12oz variety. What beer is on the boat? Victor got it right early
You can feet it start to collapse in the sheet as the pressure in the sail drops, a quick snap pops it back into place. But yes if racing never take your eyes off it!

Nov 8, 2010
I'm no expert on flying symmetrical Spinnakers but I'll take some guesses. It's so calm that the apparent wind was probably pretty far forward, so I'm thinking the main is probably pretty close to right. In very calm conditions you don't want too much curve in the sail, so having the tight outhaul could be right too.
Thats pretty much it. It felt pretty good.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
It appears the captain was neglecting his crew and said crew member was forced to take matters into his own hands..... make that hand, he was holding onto the sheet with the other. I've made my decision......