Epirb

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
So glad for the couple that their tragedy was not worse. All the way around the world to be capsized just before the end, off NJ.

Three cheers for the brave and responsive men and women of the USCG :beer::beer::beer:.

-Will (Dragonfly)

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
This is sad. The couple was headed to Maine and planned to haul the boat here over the winter for some work. They had made connections through the Maine Sailing and Cruising FB page. Then this news yesterday.

The 50 knot gusts could explain why the boat capsized. Speculation that it lost it's keel made no sense as a boat like this has no keel that can come loose. But it may have been pinned down long enough to flood?

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
I don’t know, Tom. The picture shows it lying flooded on its side. Would a wood monohull with keel stay afloat in this condition? I think it unlikely; if they had enough buoyancy to stay afloat wouldn’t it right itself?

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
tom, my cousin had a 44' Alden sailboat from 1930 that had a fixed keel, not a centerboard, and while sailing from miami to key west the keel feel off. 100% gone. dry rot. he and his wife swam to an island. about fifty years ago.
my cousins boat way poorly maintained. hippi's. i remember back in the seventies some would try covering a wood boat with fiberglass. would turn the wood to oatmeal in a year or two. hippi's

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
BERTIE, I'm sure had more of a lead shoe on the length of the keelson. The 'keel' was likely less than 6" deep. Ballast may be loose in the bilge? A lot of stuff surely shifted in the capsize. The owner/survivor built the boat.

A Go Fund Me page has been posted with the survivors description of a "white squall".

"At approximately 8 pm on the evening of Wednesday, May 29th, our home and sailboat, The Bertie, was knocked down by a "White Squall," and capsized, 65 miles offshore of the New Jersey coast. We were literally swamped and swallowed under within 60 seconds; water rushed in and we were catapulted off the boat and into the ocean. "

https://www.gofundme.com/1niftccdio...OStUKJn8GANIIYMsLqquwGvDUFS6wITM9MKPox8eMPE_8

May 25, 2012
they do not mention giving any money to the coast guard to cover their rescue.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I don't mean to be ultra critical here, but honestly, if a boat can't handle a couple of measly 50-knot gusts, perhaps it has no business being offshore. We've had more than 50-knot gusts here in the Grenadines without warning, and usually, a few bareboaters have shredded sails, but no boat capsized, that we are aware of.
The only way I can see this happening is to have a bunch of hatches and ports open at sea and that makes no sense with experienced sailors.

Jan 19, 2019
Oday 27 Hudson, Wisconsin
This may be a silly question, but how much would a rescue like that cost? And is it insurance that would pay for it? Or is it something the coast guard just does as a service?

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I also was curious about the possibility of the keel falling off. It seems odd to me that it would lay on its side like that.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
It must have been knocked down long enough to downflood. But that in itself is surprising, an ocean-going boat should be able to be knocked flat and not flood, unless something was open. But who knows, we were not there. But if that was the case, bad luck and questionable judgment make for events like this.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
This may be a silly question, but how much would a rescue like that cost? And is it insurance that would pay for it? Or is it something the coast guard just does as a service?
The USCG will pull people off, that is their service. Tax dollars in action. The boat however is a private matter.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
if a boat can't handle a couple of measly 50-knot gusts
I think it was the friends of @All U Get and not the swamped boat.
But...
You are right. If there is a squall, close all hatches and lash yourself to the boat with a quick release.
Jim...

May 25, 2012
vessel safety rule nu. 1 - hull integrity, if the water cannot come in you will survive

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
I think it was the friends of @All U Get and not the swamped boat.
But...
You are right. If there is a squall, close all hatches and lash yourself to the boat with a quick release.
Jim...
Our friends on Autumn Borne made it into Sandy Hook safely. They had turned downwind when the winds hit while they were further south of there. I believe Pennsylvania had tornado watches (I think that’s right) before that happened. We’ve never crossed from Cape May to Block Island because the forecasts are always iffy.

Middle of the night makes it even worse, good that they got out.