Loss of Sailing Super Yacht

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
D'oh!

mysong1.jpg

They went back, but probably just to take pictures. Thing weights 100 tons.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
That is going to be quite an insurance claim !!
Sad to see.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
News.

OFFICIAL STATEMENT by CEO David Holley - Peters & May Company

"This press release is in response to the ongoing media speculation in reference to the loss of sailing yacht MY SONG in the Mediterranean.

We would not normally comment on cargo incidents but given the high-profile nature of this yacht and the media interest we feel that we need to formally give some clarification. There are several individuals passing judgement on what may or may not have happened and we will attempt to offer some clarity, albeit at an early stage of the investigation. Our reputation is second to none and we will not have it tarnished by unqualified individuals passing judgement without facts in hand. I will add that I am disappointed that confidential photographs were leaked to the media.

We were informed of the loss of a yacht from the deck of the MV Brattinsborg at approximately 0400hr LT on 26th May 2019. The yacht is sailing yacht MY SONG. Upon receipt of the news Peters & May instructed the captain of the MV Brattinsborg to attempt salvage whilst 3rd party salvors were appointed.

The vessel maintained visual contact with MY SONG until the air and sea search was initiated. As of 0900hr BST on 28th May 2019 the salvage attempts are still ongoing. To ensure the safety of the remaining yachts, Peters & May have instructed the carrying vessel to continue her planned voyage to Genoa. No other yachts have been affected by this incident.

A full investigation into the cause of the incident has been launched, however the primary assessment is that the yacht’s cradle (owned and provided by the yacht, warrantied by the yacht for sea transport and assembled by the yacht’s crew) collapsed during the voyage from Palma to Genoa and subsequently resulted in the loss of MY SONG overboard. I will add that this is the initial assessment and is subject to confirmation in due course.

As a leading yacht transporter for the past 40 years we take great pride in what we do and go above and beyond all standard operating procedures to ensure safe transit of all yachts carried by us. We have procedures in place to respond to this kind of incident, although we hope that they are never required.

This incident is more than regrettable, however the transport of yachts on cargo vessels continues to be one of the safest and most cost-effective solutions when carried out by a reputable company such as Peters & May.

More information will be made available in due course but in the meantime, I request that everyone respects the sensitivity of this issue to all parties concerned.

If this statement is published it should be published in full."

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Good response that probably got the legal counsel puckering. Sitting on a firm's verbal hands is just about the worst thing you can do, although care is critical given future litigation.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Yikes. That Official Statement is a shipwreck in itself. He cannot have passed that by his attorneys before releasing it. It was more emotional than rational. He clearly is taking personally any speculation on the cause.
I understand his emotions. I am sure he needs to change his underwear after hearing the news. However, splash some water on your face, write the release, then give it to your attorneys to read.

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
hmm, it doesn't give me great confidence in the yacht builder if they can't engineer a proper cradle that is idiot-proof for assembly. so the boat falls into the water, on its side off the carrier, the hull fractures , water gets in ? i think i'll save my remaining billion dollars of savings for a different yacht purchase order .

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Looking at the picture showing boat onboard with the mast up, then in the water with no mast tells some of the story. Its like they don’t care how to get it shipped safely. Just get there fast.

Jan 2, 2017
O'Day & Islander 322 & 37 Scottsdale, AZ & Owls Head, ME
My Song in happier days. Just your regular weekend racer with 30 of your nearest and dearest crew members.
0BA5F6CE-8B08-4BDD-ADD2-09A75AE6E111.jpeg
Am I the only one who finds rail meat to be aesthetically displeasing? (Or should I say butt ugly?)
There oughta be a law!

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
More like a 180' mast but as long as they are not going under any bridges, the mast up will have little affect on the transport.
I can tell myself that rationally... but... it still makes my butt clench! :sosad:

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
My Song in happier days. Just your regular weekend racer with 30 of your nearest and dearest crew members.
View attachment 165528
Am I the only one who finds rail meat to be aesthetically displeasing? (Or should I say butt ugly?)
There oughta be a law!
Wouldn't want to be the main trimmer on something like this!

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
Seriously, this ship has several large cranes. You would think that when things started to go bad one of the cranes could have prevented a loss overboard. This ship does not appear to be the floating dry dock design as makes the Caribbean runs. Looks like the cranes are used to load and offload the yachts. Something just doesn't smell right about this.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
It sits so high off the deck that if there was a sudden buckling failure of the starboard side of the cradle, it would be in the water before anyone knew that there was a problem.

Attachments

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
There's a time when the s**t comes down that you just want to get away from it. Rescue is off the table. The ship had other clients yachts aboard. One loss is better than a bigger disaster. In a figurative sense I would have kicked it over board like I'd cut a unruly dingy painter.