Hinged lift-up tiller

Oct 10, 2013
Catalina 22 Minneapolis
It's a 1974. This isn't a great picture, but it's the best I have on me. I'll take a better one tonight or tomorrow.
IMG_5217.JPG

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Catalina 22 9874 Newberg, OR / Olympia, WA
It probably depends greatly on the exact height of your pinions and gudgeons (and thus the height of your tiller hinge point). I'm sure the height is (in theory) standardized, but (like everything on a boat) some variance is to be expected. Even a 1/4" or 1/2" difference in rudder height would make a significant difference in the tiller / traveler clearance, and thus in how high you can raise the tiller.

My Ruddercraft tiller doesn't swing up nearly as far as @Gene Neill's; I'm not sure if that's a difference in mounting height or the difference between a 1981 traveler bar and his '88.

I've thought of replacing one of the forward tiller mounting nuts with a wing-nut, or replacing one of those bolts with a pin. So that the tiller could be released to pivot farther forward (pivoting within the metal side sheets, that is). But I'm not (yet) gutsy enough to make any changes in such a crucial component (and that's from someone who built his own backstay and bowsprit :eek:).

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Looks like a combination of pre-'87 traveler, and original rudder/tiller assy. And now that I think about it, I don't think our original rudder allowed the till to go as high as it does now.

Sooo, all you need to do is just buy a post-1986 boat, and install a Ruddercraft on it. Shouldn't be that hard.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
LOL, Gene's got it figured out!...our 84 won't go higher than the pic either, useless traveler in the way, we just push it to port or stbd as needed...another vote for >85 models...

Aug 31, 2011
Catalina C-22 9485 Lake Rathbun, IA
You should start a food truck - that's really a great grill set-up.
I see the entrepreneurial opportunity now. Mobile grill with beverage dispensing out on the lake. Lamb burgers, chicken satay (burger or on a stick), and other gastronomic and bacchanalian delights. A pontoon might be better suited, but that would mean demeaning myself to buying a pontoon (sorry to any non-sailors out there). Much like our mutual 'pre-nupt' of "no mini-vans". Now I have spotted a nice little vessel called a Ranger 21 'tug' that might be both acceptable and practical. Hmmm...

Aug 31, 2011
Take a look at the zoomed-in image. We are able to raise our tiller completely, up to a point that it's parallel with the mainsheet. We then loop up the mainsheet and hang it from end of the boom (keeps it shipshape and cleaner from mildew etc as opposed to laying on the cockpit sole). Secure the tiller to the mainsheet using a bungy so the rudder can move slightly at anchor or in slip but not enough to knock wildly and cause damage. May take some fa-noodling (??) of rudder, mainsheet, and traveler set-up.

Attachments

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2013
Catalina 22 Minneapolis
Take a look at the zoomed-in image. We are able to raise our tiller completely, up to a point that it's parallel with the mainsheet. We then loop up the mainsheet and hand from end of the boom (keeps it shipshape and cleaner from mildew etc as opposed to laying on the cockpit sole). Secure the tiller to the mainsheet using a bungy so the rudder can move slightly at anchor or in slip but not enough to knock wildly and cause damage. May take some fa-noodling (??) of rudder, mainsheet, and traveler set-up.
That's what I was hoping to be able to do, but it seems the old 70s models don't allow for that. At least not without significant modification.

Aug 31, 2011
You should start a food truck - that's really a great grill set-up.

Couple of photos of the set-up. Used a mounting and post for a powerboat seat. Then made a simple table with trim to sit the grill on. All stows away neatly in a rack that I built in place of the (IMHO useless) sliding galley, which also houses the hatch-boards when underway.

Attachments