Hot water tank relief valve

Apr 21, 2019
Hunter 37.6 Vancouver
when I heat the hot water tank, three way, webasto, engine or 110 v all is well until I turn on the water pressure the water pump kicks in and it reliefs the hot water in my bilge. Once the tank cools a bit I can keep the ware pressure on. Just before it cools the pump kicks in every 20 sec for one second.
Any advice

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
First you should be able to leave the water pressure on without any hot water losses ! Do I understand correctly that the pressure relief valve lets hot water in the bilge ? And that it happens regardless of how you heat the water ? Seems impossible for each of the 3 systems to create such hot temperature that the pressure relief valve is triggered and lets pressure and water off. I would suspect the valve itself. Fortunately, it's an easy and cheap replacement. Let water cool off and shut electric power and engine off before taking valve off and go find one exactly the same at Home Depot or your local hardware store. Good luck

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
Yes it would be a bit of work because not a lot of room and a valve that's been there for ages. Glad the problem is solved.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
IIRC, you should open the pressure valve so the water drains out, down to the valve opening. close valve. YMMV?