Shallow (shoal) vs deep draft (Oceanis 38)

May 28, 2019
Beneteau 38 DK
Hi Beneteau owners

I have been in the market for a used Beneteau Oceanis 38 for some time, and recently found a used boat. One thing worries me a bit, and that is the boat is equipped with the shallow draught of 1.64 m (5.5") and not the deep keel with a draught of 2.08 m (6,10").

By chance, could someone with practical experience with these boats be able to tell me how much shallow draught affect the performance/ability to point? The boat is being sold in another part of the country, and I do not think I will be able to test it thoroughly enough to get a good understanding of the performance impact of the shallow draft.

I should mention I will not be using the boat for racing or prolonged cruising - just vacation sailing and weekend cruising. Further, I will not be sailing in shallow waters where I can actual benefit from the shallow draught.

If I were to buy a new boat I would hands down buy the deep keel version for the better performance. However, I am tempted to compromise on the keel depth unless experienced sailors at this forum indicate that a shallow draught heavily impacts the boats performance.

Thank you very much for your input.

Last edited:
May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
To give you a rough idea, PHRF handicaps shoal draft separately from standard draft. I can't find any places with direct comparisons of the two Oceanis 38 models (maybe @Jackdaw can), but in general for boats around that size the difference seems to be about 6 seconds per mile. PHRF is built for Windward/leeward courses, so if you assume similar speed downwind then the upwind delta is about 12 seconds for every mile. Assuming both boats sail to their rating that's not a huge difference - maybe 10 minutes on a daysail. You're right that the upwind performance won't be quite as good, but if the boat is otherwise in good shape I probably wouldn't discount it for just being the shoal draft.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
I have a 423 with 5’6” draft..... love it. Boat points nicely for my type sailing, and gives me more ability to easily get in the coves without too much thinking

Greg

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
If you’re cruising I wouldn’t worry about it too much. It will affect pointing, but you probably have to sail next to the other one to really notice the difference. They always rate slower. Half of that is from the Lesser pointing ability. The other part is the fact that a boat that size with a shoal draft keel will almost always weigh about 1000 pounds more than the deep draft version.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Since you are not racing and will not use the boat in shallow water, find the best boat that you can and don't be concerned about the keel. Conversely, if you find two boats that are desirable one with a deep keel and one with a shoal keel, base the keel decision on your locale. You indicated in your post that you will use the boat in deep water, so a deep keel would likely be more desirable and also make the boat more attractive when you sell. Here on the Gulf Coast, the opposite is true; a shoal keel would be more desirable.

SkipR

Oct 13, 2014
Beneteau First 22 and Oceanis 38 San Francisco Bay
I have an Oceanis 38 which I sail on San Francisco Bay. Even though depth is sometimes an issue getting into and out of my harbor, I never considered the shallow draft. We sail in 20+ knots all summer long and I wouldn't give up the high wind performance of the deep draft, even though I don't race.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I have an Oceanis 38 which I sail on San Francisco Bay. Even though depth is sometimes an issue getting into and out of my harbor, I never considered the shallow draft. We sail in 20+ knots all summer long and I wouldn't give up the high wind performance of the deep draft, even though I don't race.
As I mentioned in my earlier post, shallow draft boats usually have 1000 pounds (at this length) more ballast at least to keep the same righting moment. So the same stiffness and wind performance. Just will not point as well. Or accelerate as fast.

Jan 10, 2018
Beneteau 331 Halifax
Stability in general is not affected by shoal/deep as the extra weight compensates. On my B331 (shoal) it only rates a Class B rather than A Category - but that is neither here nor there to me. I have owned 10 deep keel boats and this one (B331) is my first shoal, and I cannot tell the difference whatsoever, but I do not race.