Catalina 400 MKII stiff steering.

LeGe

Nov 21, 2015
Hunter 33.5 Cedar Creek, NJ
Have a beautiful Catalina 400 MK II from 2001 under contract. Boat is in very good shape despite the age and most everything I looked at worked well. Low engine hours, loved boat.

Only one problem that really concerns me. The steering at both helms are very stiff. As if the steering brake was tightened but it wasn’t.

The seller of the vessel did not think it was too stiff but both my wife and I, who have sailed in a fair number of boats could not recall any with a steering nearly as stiff.

I’ve read about what a few causes could be but was hoping that someone with first hand knowledge of this particular issue on the C400 MKII might be able to help.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Check cables...... they might be too tight? Edson is great to speak with....... might be worth a call and sure they can tell you what it might be.

Good luck!

Greg

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
Maybe not a Catalina detail, but also check for Zerks embedded in each rudder shaft. Inside work in confined spaces. :(
Other makes of boat have these and owners - and yard maintenance workers - are notorious for ignoring them for a decade at a time. Very often shooting a lot of grease into each one while someone turns the wheel(s) lock to lock will take 92% of the stiffness out of the steering.

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
I had a Catalina 30 that had stiff steering when I bought it. The problem turned out to be considerable dirt and grime in the rudder tube. I solved the problem by dropping the rudder, swabbing out the rudder tube, and greasing the tube with Teflon grease.

LeGe

Nov 21, 2015
Hunter 33.5 Cedar Creek, NJ
Thanks, I think the consensus is that it'll take a drop of the rudder to get to the heart of the issue....