Running halyards to the cockpit.

Oct 28, 2013
Hunter 20 Lake Monroe
Quick question concerning running the main halyard back to the cockpit. OurOur b has a pop top and I do not want to run the lines across the top of the pop top. My only option would be to run them to starboard and then go down the side of the cabin. My question is what fittings would I need to make the turn from the top of the cabin to get the line down on to the vertical wall of the cabin? I would be trying to make the line go around an outside curve instead of an inside curve like when it comes down off the mast to the top of the cabin. I don't want the line to rub on the edge of the cabin top.
I meant to take a picture of this before I left the boat the last time but of course I forgot.

Thanks
Sam

Apr 11, 2018
Hunter 340 Dowry Creek, NC
Check out "lead blocks" and "fairlead blocks." You'd want one with a pin at the top of the frame to hold in the line, I suspect.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Is there a deck organizer made for a vertical bend? I could be mistaken but thought they were for horizontal ones.
You'll need one at the base of the mast to turn the line. An organizer to route around the cabin top, and a cleat or clutch near the aft end of the cabin top to control it. Or are you trying to go further aft?

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Sam,

Will the pop top be up while sailing or down. If up, take a photo of that standing fro the front and rear of the boat and I will comment

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
It might help to familiarize yourself with the many types of deck mounted blocks available. Check out some of the online chandleries... perhaps take a look at the www.garhauermarine.com catalogue. Ronstan, Harken, Lewmar, Schaeffer etc. all have online catalogues of their inventory. You can also google your boat model and look for pictures posted by sellers that may give you some ideas.

Apr 11, 2018
Hunter 340 Dowry Creek, NC
You'll need one at the base of the mast to turn the line. An organizer to route around the cabin top, and a cleat or clutch near the aft end of the cabin top to control it. Or are you trying to go further aft?
His question was how to bend the line vertically, over the edge of the cabin roof and downward. He wants to route the halyard along the side of the cabin. He didn't ask about the bend at the mast foot or on the side after he gets it to go down, so I assume he has those points covered.

Oct 28, 2013
Hunter 20 Lake Monroe
His question was how to bend the line vertically, over the edge of the cabin roof and downward. He wants to route the halyard along the side of the cabin. He didn't ask about the bend at the mast foot or on the side after he gets it to go down, so I assume he has those points covered.
That is correct. my concern is making the bend around the edge of the cabin top so I can run the line horizontally down the vertical edge of the cabin.
I'm trying to set the boat up so my wife can feel more comfortable sailing it solo. I have no issue going up on the cabin top to take care of the main halyard but I think it would just be safer for her to stay in the cockpit when she's by herself.
I'm trying to do whatever I can to make it easier for her. I want her to at least take the boat out once by herself to get over the mental hurdle. I know she could handle it is just doing whatever it takes to get her to feel comfortable enough to do it.

Thanks,
Sam

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
Maybe something like this:
Schaefer 5 Series Over The Top Block
?
If that can't work or is too costly, some of the simple single sheave upright blocks look like you could fashion a restrainer strap by attaching it through the hole that is in the axle.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I'm trying to set the boat up so my wife can feel more comfortable sailing it solo. I have no issue going up on the cabin top to take care of the main halyard but I think it would just be safer for her to stay in the cockpit when she's by herself.
I'm trying to do whatever I can to make it easier for her. I want her to at least take the boat out once by herself to get over the mental hurdle. I know she could handle it is just doing whatever it takes to get her to feel comfortable enough to do it.
While this is a laudable goal, I'd feel uncomfortable with someone soloing a sailboat that was not comfortable moving over 100% of the boat in conditions you might expect them to see. I'd work on the root problem (solvable for sure) and not try and band-aid it.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Mast swivel cam cleat like the Ronstan has up to a 5/16 inch line which you may have for the main halyard. There are others but you can stand anywhere in the cockpit to lower or raise the mainsail as long as you are not in high winds