Dutchman Problem

Feb 26, 2019
Pearson 31-2 Chester MD
Getting familiar with our '88 Pearson 31-2 equipped with a Dutchman System. It works reasonably well except for the following. Neither of the sail control lines go through the very highest fairleads so when I lower the sails they flake reasonably well except for the fact that the sails really "bunch" up when those fairleads are lowered. My question is - how difficult is it to undo the bottom tabs/discs and rethread the control lines down through the sail?

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
What are the "highest fairleads"?
What are the "sail control lines"?

Feb 26, 2019
Pearson 31-2 Chester MD
I think those are the right terms. The fairleads are the sewn in holes in the sail through which the "control lines", just monofilament lines run from the topping lift to the bottom of the sail. Sorry if I didn't use the right terminology.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Are the Dutchman monofilament lines vertical through the fair leads?

You may need to play with the tension on the monofilament lines. The nee only to tight enough. Also the topping lift need to be eased off a little when sailing.

Feb 26, 2019
Pearson 31-2 Chester MD
They are vertical. When the main is full the lines seem a bit too tight as well. PO sold us a very sound boat so this may simply be the way its supposed to work but I'd like to be sure.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Like SG says, you need to ease the topping lift when sailing so the Dutchman lets the main fill .
It's pretty easy to rethread the lines.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Like SG says, you need to ease the topping lift when sailing so the Dutchman lets the main fill .
And don’t forget to tension them by lowering the topping lift when you drop the sail. Sounds like that’s your issue.

Jul 29, 2004
Hunter 340 Lake Lanier, GA
Do you have the Dutchman manual? This one is about 10 yrs old, but is a good place to start, or go hunt around on their web site.

Attachments

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
A picture would be great but sounds like you are saying the lines are not threaded through all the disks on the sail?? It’s easy to disconnect and rethtead...,, just match current pattern

Greg

Feb 26, 2019
Pearson 31-2 Chester MD
Thanks for all the comments - sounds like it isn't too daunting a task to rethread the lines which is the first thing I will do. After that I will practice lower and raising the sail as several have suggested. Thanks again!

Dec 25, 2014
Catalina 27 Pasadena, Md
On my boat, the main lifts the back of the boom when raised to the top and the monofilament lines are slack. As soon as I start to drop the sail, the lines go tight and the sail flakes very well. I only have 2 monofilament lines on a Catalina 27, and they don't go through the very top area, but it still flakes. Also, on mine, the backstay is the rope the monofilament lines are attached to, and can be used to lower the points much like lowering a flag.
Bob

Dec 29, 2008
Treworgy 65' LOA Custom Steel Pilothouse Staysail Ketch St. Croix, Virgin Islands
You shouldn't have to rethread the lines, unless it is to go through the topmost holes in the sail. Even then, I'd just remove them from the pockets at the bottom of the sail by loosening the screws in the compression disks on the pocket and pulling out the monofilament. You may have to remove one of the screws completely and slide the disk to the side to free it up enough to rethread the monofilament back into the pocket, but it isn't a bid deal. You have to do this anyway each year to remove the sails, if you remove them each winter. Down here we have to remove them in the event of a named storm in order for our insurance to remain in effect. But, the manual posted above also gives very specific guidance for tuning the system.