Multi purpose halyard

Dec 18, 2016
Hunter 306 ft lauderdale
i have a 203 Hunter 306. yesterday i climbed the mast to place a new antenna. when i arrived i noticed there was no MPH to assist me on my climb. when i came down i saw that the furling mast had a pull line for a spinnaker. would anyone use this as an MPH location. there is plenty of room for a block at the foot of mast. i would need to install a cleat to tie off to. I saw a few plugs//holes in the mast. possibly use that site??? I do not plan on purchasing a spinnaker now or future. i have to go back up as the masthead light lens was cracked. does anyone know if you can buy just the lens. thank you tom

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Sorry friend, but your post was difficult for me to follow.

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 260 winnipeg, Manitoba
Mph = mast pro harness? Or ?
Halyards are frequently used for bosuns chairs, harnesses and tie offs. On a small boat like mine the question would be if you have enough ballast to counteract your weight at the top of the stick. On a 306 I would expect it to be ok, on a 270 maybe not.

On your lens issue you will need to give a make and model of fixture in order to determine if a lens is available.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
There is no such thing as a multi-purpose halyard. Based on its location on the mast, it will have a very specific purpose. Fore and above the forestay are spin halyards. Below the forestay are headsail halyards. Aft is the main halyard. Also aft might be a topping lift, but unless I was personally responsible for rigging that line, I would never use it for human suspension.