Rudder mod

Feb 11, 2015
Catalina 22 Lake Jacomo
So I've been thinking about this for a while. I know that shimming the upper gudgeon is a popular modification to improve helm, but it comes with a few drawbacks. First is the need to cut an access hole in the cockpit. Second is the alignment issue which means you need to make the shim wedge shaped and also slightly wedge the lower as well. Third is the tiller sits higher which doesn't really effect anything, but it would bug me as I'm happy with it's current height. As much as I'd like to gain some improvement in the helm, it's not worth cutting holes, and I'm not willing to pony up for a Ruddercraft when mine rudder is perfectly serviceable. So while repairing some gelcote pox on my rudder blade a few weeks ago, it occurred to me that a simple mod to the blade itself (I have a kick-up) would accomplish the same thing with a lot less hassle. I haven't done it yet, but seriously considering it. It would require nothing more than a jigsaw and a bit of epoxy. Basically just cut a thin wedge off of the top of the blade (dotted lines on my drawing) and seal it up with some epoxy and a thin layer of cloth. This would allow the rudder to move slightly forward just like shimming the gudgeons but without changing anything else. What do you think, anybody see any issues with this plan?IMG_2496[1].JPG

Grotto

Feb 18, 2018
Catalina 22 Wilmington
I think this would work for cruising but would not work if you want to race the boat in a c22 class as it is a modification to the rudder

Feb 11, 2015
Catalina 22 Lake Jacomo
I think this would work for cruising but would not work if you want to race the boat in a c22 class as it is a modification to the rudder
Clearly, but my boat is a cruiser, I could care less about racing.

Dec 5, 2011
Catalina Catalina 22 13632 Phenix City
Well that certainly sounds easier and more forgiving than modifying the leading edge of the rudder to replicate the rudder craft foil I want but can't justify buying. Keep us posted, this sounds like a much better summer project than replacing the facia boards on the house.....

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
I made a nifty adjustable rake fitting for My Stiletto catamaran.

Just remember, this will reduce the helm feel, but will not change the rudder angle. In general, the rudder angle should be in the 3-5 degree range up wind.

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
Sounds like a good plan to me. I happen to have the original 1987 C22 rudder in my basement, after buying a Ruddercraft. If the modification has any downside, I'd be easily persuaded to send it over to you.

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Catalina Jaguar 22 Simons Town
In my case I have to build a completely new rudder! So this is good research for me. We have a type of trailer sailer boat in SA here called a Holday 23 designed by Angelo Lavranos. It has a very nice lifting rudder design where the blade slides up and down vertically inside its rudder casing. Still deciding between the two options of lifting rudder.

Unfortunately, since "the new democracy" in South Africa not much in the way of boat building exists anymore and if there is it's always big cats (Leopard Catamarans) for the foreign market so nothing available off the shelf as it were for us mere mortal locals!

And definitely no worries about Class rules here!

Grotto

Feb 18, 2018
Catalina 22 Wilmington
Maybe you can convince hardhead to ship you his old spare!!!

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Catalina Jaguar 22 Simons Town
Maybe you can convince hardhead to ship you his old spare!!!
That's not going to work although it would be a great time saver... problem is it would sit in customs for six months or more while the money grubbing corrupt regime try and figure out what it is and how much import duty and taxes I must pay!

Mar 11, 2015
Catalina 22 Oceanside CA
So I've been thinking about this for a while. I know that shimming the upper gudgeon is a popular modification to improve helm, but it comes with a few drawbacks. First is the need to cut an access hole in the cockpit. Second is the alignment issue which means you need to make the shim wedge shaped and also slightly wedge the lower as well. Third is the tiller sits higher which doesn't really effect anything, but it would bug me as I'm happy with it's current height. As much as I'd like to gain some improvement in the helm, it's not worth cutting holes, and I'm not willing to pony up for a Ruddercraft when mine rudder is perfectly serviceable. So while repairing some gelcote pox on my rudder blade a few weeks ago, it occurred to me that a simple mod to the blade itself (I have a kick-up) would accomplish the same thing with a lot less hassle. I haven't done it yet, but seriously considering it. It would require nothing more than a jigsaw and a bit of epoxy. Basically just cut a thin wedge off of the top of the blade (dotted lines on my drawing) and seal it up with some epoxy and a thin layer of cloth. This would allow the rudder to move slightly forward just like shimming the gudgeons but without changing anything else. What do you think, anybody see any issues with this plan?View attachment 165231
I have considered that also, it may be a good fix. I would love to reduce some weight of that rudder, but not willing to fork out the $$$'s for a Ruddercraft replacement. I also can't get an answer re the weight difference. Maybe some used ones after the hurricanes?!