Honda generator use/operation on 2001 Hunter

Jan 12, 2011
Hunter 410 full time cruiser
Well my finely crafted Italian LMG 4000 POS generator has a problem with the radiator. Depending on how much it is to fix that I may be looking at ways to start and run the 15K BTU unit off my Honda EU2200i.

It looks that a soft start kit will allow this so am looking info an Easy Start from Micro-Air

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
Check out this link. It explains neutral/ground bonding with small portable generators.
I did similar to this, connecting the neutral and ground wires (white and green) together in the cable I use to connect my generator. That made the reverse polarity light go out. Didn't know you could do it with another plug in the other outlet.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
As far as I know a hard start kit very briefly increases the start current, increasing the motor torque and allowing it to start. It takes specialized equipment to measure inrush current a regular hand held clamp on amp meter or a generic plug in watt meter won't do it. What's really important here is that it works in your situation. They do not affect running current.
It’s a capacitor that stores energy like a reservoir, to deliver a rush of amps for momentary high loads. In that manner it softens the momentary demand on the generator or can briefly deliver more current than the generator is capable of supplying.

Jul 23, 2009
Beneteau 31 Oceanis Grand Lake, Oklahoma
A capacitor only stores DC. It will pass AC though.
The larger the cap. the more AC current it will pass and the more starting torque the motor will have. I could be wrong though, as I've been wrong before.

Jul 23, 2009
Beneteau 31 Oceanis Grand Lake, Oklahoma
I also understand that a starting cap. causes a shift in current vs voltage and that shift causes an offset in the magnet field. I think the shift is required to start and induction motor.
Some motors also have a run cap. I'm not entirely sure but I think the run cap. is used to limit run current.

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
Check out this link. It explains neutral/ground bonding with small portable generators.
I don't know why the guy in that video calls 110vac outlets "Edison outlets". As I recall, the Edison electric grid was DC power, not AC. The Westinghouse grid was the AC grid & used the standard 110vac outlets. I would expect that the DC system used different outlets. If anyone knows different, please correct me.

That aside, I have a few points of general information to share -
Air conditioners draw a lot more current at start up than they do when they run. The text book calculation for sizing components for AC motor start up is 6 times running current. It is called locked rotor current. If a generator will start an air conditioner for even a few seconds, then it should be able to run it with no problems. The start up is the hard part. This is especially true on a hot start up, when the compressor has a load of head pressure on it.

Old fashioned brush generators have a pretty good tolerance for short duration heavy loading. The modern inverter generators generally lack this same level of start up current tolerance, even the good brand names. A friend of mine fried one of those Honda brief case generators trying to run a 8,000 BTU window shaker AC & a refrigerator during a hurricane power outage a couple of years ago. He then borrowed a spare generator from a neighbor. A 1500 watt brush generator was able to do the job that the 2000 watt inverter generator could not do.

When you put two AC generator outputss in parallel, you need to have them in phase sync, otherwise one will short circuit through the other. It's not as simple as just putting the output wires in parallel. There needs to be some kind of phase timing control system. In inverter generators, it may be possible to directly parallel the DC buss systems & feed a single inverter. It depends on the model you have.

Floating ground to neutral connections will often trip ground fault (GFCI) or residual current breakers. Connecting ground to neutral can often eliminate this problem. This is an oversimplified statement. There are a lot of details that really should be considered.

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
I did similar to this, connecting the neutral and ground wires (white and green) together in the cable I use to connect my generator. That made the reverse polarity light go out. Didn't know you could do it with another plug in the other outlet.
The (green shorted to white) plug in the other outlet only works if both outlets are in parallel or if they share a common neutral in a 110/220vac set up. If the generator has two separate windings feeding the two outlets, then bonding one may do nothing for the other. Different generators are wired differently. Some are able to be reconfigured in the field. Some are not. An example of a commonly available field configuration change would be to change a 15 amp 110/220 system to a single output 30 amp 110vac only (RV type) output. Generator fixes are not one size fits all.