A Swarm of Sailboats

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Do you like to sail in a swarm, pack, school, or fleet of sailboats?

Some like the rafting and camaraderie. The food and drink is usually better, not to mention the jokes. But others prefer the solitude of solo sailing.

What's your gaggle?

raft.jpg

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
As a couple or with friends who don’t freak out when the boat heels.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I love sharing the experience with my sailing partner/wife. I have never found solo sailing near as much fun. I sailed with only a cat for some time, but she was a lousy conversationalist and was unimpressed when we encountered sea mammals.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
On the other side of the coin, the idea of setting off across an ocean in the company of possibly a hundred or so boats with captains so inexperienced and afraid of an ocean crossing that they think there is safety in numbers at sea sends shivers down my spine.
It kinda defeats the whole idea of ocean sailing in my mind. I'll give the rallies a wide berth, thank you.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
I read the pole differently than most responders. I read it as a swarm of boats not how many crew on board. When cruising I sail alone. If I am on a flotilla cruise with other boats, I tell them I will see them at the next stop and go my own way. That usually means leaving very early and catching the morning breeze and making use the for currents. The rest leave at 10:00 regardless of the current or wind. The results are that I sail and the rest motor.

Jim26m

Apr 3, 2019
Macgregor 26M Mobile AL
I usually day sail with the wife or a buddy along. The wife sometimes likes another couple aboard so she can get some intelligent conversation. Occasionally the kids and son-in-law will all come along which is really nice. I like to be the only boat in the immediate area. Don't really enjoy having a flotilla, swarm, gaggle of other boats around while moving.

Although, after seeing the crew that Jon Hansen has, I guess I could put up with one boat within viewing range.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Do you like to sail in a swarm, pack, school, or fleet of sailboats?

Some like the rafting and camaraderie. The food and drink is usually better, not to mention the jokes. But others prefer the solitude of solo sailing.

What's your gaggle?

View attachment 164867
We used to pack up with other families. If you had kids onboard, and their friends were sailing in the vicinity, a raft up was mandatory.

This was 2000. I'd hoist them all just to get a break. The food and drink was a big part of it!
Raft up.jpg

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
On the other side of the coin, the idea of setting off across an ocean in the company of possibly a hundred or so boats with captains so inexperienced and afraid of an ocean crossing that they think there is safety in numbers at sea sends shivers down my spine.
It kinda defeats the whole idea of ocean sailing in my mind. I'll give the rallies a wide berth, thank you.
I feel the exact same way toward motorcycle rallies, such as Sturgis, just too many inexperienced riders and many have no business on two wheels.