Traveler Line

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
View attachment 165245 View attachment 165245 I took a couple of pictures. The first shows the double braid cover that parted, I assume due to friction with the clutch. The second shows the eye splice on the Garhauer traveler car. When the car is moved all the way to starboard, the tail of the splice goes around the sheave in the block. That is why sewing an eye won't work. A knot is fine for a temporary fix, but it seems the only way to get full movement is have an eye-splice.
The buntline hitch and halyard knots are very compact and cinch up snugly around the becket so they will not adversely affect your maximum car position... if you take a closer look you'll notice the tail section of the eye splice will be significantly longer than the same space the knot uses.

Another good reason for the knot is to allow you to occasionally rotate the control lines and adjust their length, which will reduce the overall abrasive action on the line from the cleats and clutches.

Finally, the use of clutches on the traveler lines may need to be re considered. This line is one that is used considerably more than a halyard.... on my boat I use the traveler as much or even more than the mainsheet. The act of opening and closing the clutch each time I want to make a minor adjustment is counter productive.... and if you are using the closed position/ clutch effect when tightening it is definitely the cause of your excessive abrasion. My suggestion is to remove the clutch and install a swivel cam(as was in original design)... in a location that allows you to engage/disengage the line with one hand.... preferably from the helm, you can think outside the box a bit here.... but routing the control line back to an open cam cleat at the edge of the cabin top, or nearer to the helm make the device more functional and easier to use.

This example is just one idea of many... but it works well for boats with dodgers.

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
Factory is the cam cleats below.
The location of the factory cam cleats is terrible if you've got a dodger, and maybe not so great even without one. Leading the traveler lines back to where all the other lines/clutches/cleats are makes a lot of sense.

Jan 22, 2008
Islander Freeport, 41 Ketch Longmont, CO
Ok, not sure why nobody mentioned it but, learning to splice double braid is pretty easy and a worthwhile skill to have. I do all my own splices for halyards, travelers, etc. as needed. the first few take a bit but, once you've learned how you can complete a perfect splice in less than 5 minutes. I usually grab a couple of pieces when I get a chance and practice once or twice a year.

you can fix this problem in about 15 minutes and then be able to brag to your neighbors how you solved the problem.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
The location of the factory cam cleats is terrible if you've got a dodger, and maybe not so great even without one. Leading the traveler lines back to where all the other lines/clutches/cleats are makes a lot of sense.
I agree that the location is blocked if you have a dodger. I stick my hand out the little zipper to release the travel. But as others have pointed out, a clutch is the wrong tool for a traveler. Cam cleats are better for this use. Swivel Cams even better. There is also a kit to have both traveler lines on the same side for easier adjustments.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
I'm not really liking the stock traveler function with the lines on the end. I didn't install my new lines yet, but because I had to be at $50+ on my order for free shipping I went with 37' each line, which is probably too long but may work better.

Nov 16, 2012
I agree that the location is blocked if you have a dodger. I stick my hand out the little zipper to release the travel. But as others have pointed out, a clutch is the wrong tool for a traveler. Cam cleats are better for this use. Swivel Cams even better. There is also a kit to have both traveler lines on the same side for easier adjustments.
I hated reaching thru that zipper! Our swivel cam cleats are on the inside of the other controls, so it’s easy to adjust from the companionway. The trade off is that the traveler stops a few inches short of the end of the track. Can you give me more info on the kit to put them both on the same side?

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
This is the best picture I have of my starboard clutches and main sheet cam cleat. Where is there room to put a swivel cam cleat for the traveler? The line leading to it needs to clear the dodger.

Attachments

Nov 16, 2012
This is the best picture I have of my starboard clutches and main sheet cam cleat. Where is there room to put a swivel cam cleat for the traveler? The line leading to it needs to clear the dodger.
That’s why ours are on the inside of the “normal” clutches, and lead from the innermost sheave on the organizer. Again, the trade off is that the traveler can’t go all the way to the end of the track, but that’s not a big deal to us.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
... The line leading to it needs to clear the dodger.
Here are two pics how I took the aft facing cam cleats off the traveler, rerouted the lines through the line organizers, then brought them aft, UNDER the dodger to line stoppers on the cabin top. Beneteau 323

Attachments

Dan_Y

Oct 13, 2008
Hunter 36 Hampton
I up sized my trailer line one size to 3/8 instead of 5/16 in a 4:1 travler to make it easier to hold the line, and am now wondering if that is what’s causing the line twist and jam? I like the idea of something stretchy to protect the rig during gybes. I have read from rope mfr’s or WM Advisor that single braid line wont twist or kink (hockel?) when used in a travler or Vang, but I have read user experiences that disagree.
Dan

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Dan,

I did that upgrade to the line and learned that it doesn't work, your description is correct. Back to 5/16 and all is well. I have a Garhauer 5 or 6:1 so it doesn't really matter I learned.
All sorts of new line out, but if you go back in size, StaySet will still work. I believe that any line that keeps readjusting on a cruising boat can be treated as "stretchable!" :) Unless you're jackdaw!!! Worked for me while I was learning to win a few races, too. They have a humble emoji? :)

Dan_Y

Oct 13, 2008
Hunter 36 Hampton
Great! Thanks Stu. It is StaySet currently. Back to 5/16! Dang...my ipad humble emoji won’t post...ha

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
I wish to thank all who replied. I've gone with 3/8" x 33' of Sta-Set X and the buntline hitch. It seems to work just fine.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Sort of related, what is the best approach to keepong the lazy traveler line from bunching up when dropping the traveler? Seems we are in a mess to keep the lines sorted with a traveler now.

Last edited:

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
After any traveler adjustment I put a little tension on the lazy line. Just need to remember to un cleat it before moving the traveler up.
When preparing to tack I drop the traveler to the anticipated position for the new tack. Again I keep both lines cleated so the car can never "run away".

Interested in how others do it as well.

Nov 16, 2012
Sort of related, what is the best approach to keepong the lazy traveler line from bunching up when dropping the traveler? Seems we are in a mess to keep the lines sorted with a traveler now.
With our traveler control lines on the inside of everything else (next to all the clutches) it's easy to stand in the companionway and pull the low side in as the high side is let out.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I have end boom sheeting, traveler is mounted on cockpit wall just behind rudder post. Rather than two separate lines I use one continuous piece... which makes it much easier to keep track of and operate. I can release one side and set the other with the single line in hand.., Might not work for mid boom set ups, but it's worth consideration,