Traveler Line

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
Any C-310 owners replaced their traveler line? The double braid on the starboard line came asunder today on either side of the clutch. As a result, the traveler cannot be moved in either direction.

I measured my line as 7/16 in x 30 ft long. I can buy line, but the real issue is the eye-splice needed to connect to the car. If I take my time and label the lines, I can splice a three line nylon rode (it isn't pretty). There is no way I can splice the line and double braid cover. A pin goes through the eye-splice and connects the line to the car. The inside diameter of the splice is about 1/2 to 3/4 inch (difficult to measure as it is hidden in-between the other lines running through the blocks. A knot will rub on the other lines as the car moves back and forth.

Catalina Direct sells traveler line, listed for the C-310, but it is 5/16 x 33 ft long. Now my line diameter measurement may be off a bit, but is sure isn't off by 1/8 inch. The specs do not indicate if the lines have an eye-splice. I'm not at all sure my clutches will grab and hold a 5/16 line.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
A sewn splice will work perfectly well in a case like this. Either round stitching down both sides, or a sailmaker's splice.

I did a LOT of testing. This is only a small portion of the carnage.

http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2016/11/rev.html
---

Another thing to consider. Quite a few people have gone to nylon, either climbing rope or DB, to reduce impact during jibes. It really can help. It's the impact that breaks things.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
... I'm not at all sure my clutches will grab and hold a 5/16 line.
Test that first. If you need to replace the clutches it can get more complicated pretty fast.

KZW

May 17, 2014
The clutches will not be replaced. I will get line that fits.

Regarding the sewn splices. I'd not considered that but think it an intriguing idea. I'm not sure the tail will clear, letting the traveler go down all the way on the starboard side like a splice will do.

Yes, Defender will put in a splice for $19. The line itself will be less than $30. I need to go to the boat tomorrow to look more closely at the traveler, clearance, and clutches.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
May I suggest downsizing the line to 3/8.... rather than 7/16,,, much less friction through the blocks.. plenty of strength... but if you're concerned you can get a higher quality line... same diameter. You can also use a buntline hitch if you are intimidated by the double braid eye splice. The buntline hitch is compact and you can cinch it up tight next to the fitting to allow more travel room.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
My manual says 5/16 and I just bought new line at the WM sale with my credits so I got 2 lines for just about free ($50 in credits).

I've done some reading also, is there an acceptable knot instead.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Only issue with a knot is how high the sail head goes. Some sails have the head up next to the sheave. Not good as there is no room for a knot and shackle. This will be a personal decision based on your boat.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Of Course there is a knot for that.
It is called a “halyard knot”.
Just to be clear this is the traveler line, not a halyard, fun knot to tie and if I have the space might work

KZW

May 17, 2014
Damaged Line.jpeg
Damaged Line.jpeg
I took a couple of pictures. The first shows the double braid cover that parted, I assume due to friction with the clutch. The second shows the eye splice on the Garhauer traveler car. When the car is moved all the way to starboard, the tail of the splice goes around the sheave in the block. That is why sewing an eye won't work. A knot is fine for a temporary fix, but it seems the only way to get full movement is have an eye-splice.

Attachments

KZW

May 17, 2014
JK,
What was your line diameter? Do you have the same clutches and Garhauer traveler?

Mar 26, 2011
Unless I am mistaken, that is NOT a class 2 splice. It is a cover-only splice used to reduce the thickness of the tail. But hard to see. It's a good trick for hand tensioned lines where strength is not critical.

Mar 26, 2011
Coating jammer sections with RP 29 (edit--RP 25) reduces this failure by reducing abrasion and by bonding the cover to the core.

That said, I use knots where I can, so that I can move the wear points 6 inches every few years.

Last edited:

KZW

May 17, 2014
I've tried Googleing RP29, RP 29, andRP-29. I'm at a loss????

KZW

May 17, 2014
I put in a temporary 7/16 line, 30 ft long that happened to be in the spare line bin. The pictures show the knot, first with the car all the way to port, then moved all the way to starboard. I think the knot will work and I won't need a splice.

Attachments

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
JK,
What was your line diameter? Do you have the same clutches and Garhauer traveler?
5/16 per factory. The clutches are not factory as far as I know. Factory is the cam cleats below. The knot is fine for us. I would never pull a traveler further over than than that can handle but we are trade winds cruisers not racers. I try to never heal over 15 degrees. We just had to sail into an Anchorage at night due to engine loss.

Attachments