Wiring harness

Jac123

Apr 19, 2019
Catalina 30 Forked River
Last stupid question (this morning)
Is this where everyone's engine wiring harness is situated. It seems like it's very susceptible to water?

Attachments

May 7, 2011
C - 30 # 3573 Lake NormanNC formerly Bflo NY
No it should be hung.
I’ll put even money on the PO having removed the gummy bear plugs, and didn’t have enough length to route it per OEM.

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
That’s where it is on a 1982 catalina 30 with the 5411 universal diesel (in our marina).
No mods done by the owner

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
I don’t know what a gummy bear plug is. New terminology for me.

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
I’ll take another look but it sure looks original along with the sails, pumps and engine. Thanks, Stu.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Looks just like mine on my 93. The trailer plugs have been removed by a PO and at the engine butt connectors were used.
The wire bundle is attached to the floor from under the floor pan until it gets to the engine stringer, then up on the stringer.

@weekendrken What is the OEM routing? How should it be hung? I’m fixing everything else electrical, might as well fix this.

Jan 26, 2019
Catalina 30, mkI 2462 Waukegan, IL
I am #2462 also a 1982 w/ Universal 5411.

My PO did replace gummy bear / RV style plug. I don't know what my original routing was. However, NOW the new terminal strip has been hung overhead with a zip tie or two. Try to picture, very roughly, the terminal strip attached to underside of the "seat" fiberglass. It go over the muffler or just outboard. Mostly it is hanging by the electrical wires. My surveyor, expectedly, said that needs support. But my wires aren't currently long enough to do much else.

May 7, 2011
Ward

I suspect it may have varied (over the years, day of the week, before or after a binge weekend, by the precision CTY tech/installer (etc.)?

CTY tech selfie.jpg

Mine OEM was tagged underneath the divider between the two seat hatches. When I deep-sixed the gummy (eliminating the ammeter,) I wouldn't put up with the poor remainder of the harness/terminals to the engine so replaced each of those, added an oil-pressure gauge circuit, and made those ends long enough to run the harness along a suitable route. Most do not replace the wire ends, so it's short once you cut out 6" or so. I actually made mine much longer because I staggered each crimp so I didn't end up with one butt bundle. A Bertha Butt as it would be.

Cables need to be secured per ABYC. The Seaward fix for the termstrip to replace the gummy, instructs the owner to take a hunk of leftover (ammeter) wire, and hang the eurostrip from a screw or whatever there is there to hang the trip from. Nice,

May 7, 2011
I am #2462 also a 1982 w/ Universal 5411.

Mostly it is hanging by the electrical wires. My surveyor, expectedly, said that needs support. But my wires aren't currently long enough to do much else.
JN, not only the Eurostrip itself (a very poor Seaward/Catalina Direct "fix") but any wire (or it could be the bundle) needs to be secured w/in 6" of its terminal connection.

May 7, 2011
This is the gummy bear (and what happens to it.) I coined the term like 20 years ago and it caught on like, well, Gummy Bears.
In 1993 I had no clue of the hazard and cleaned up the plug terminals and expanded the males so they made a tight connection, and wrapped the plug joint w/ electrical tape to keep out moisture.

Fast forward:

gummy bear plug2.jpg