No slip deck paint

Sep 8, 2016
Macgregor 25 Chattanooga
My Mac 25 is in need of renewing the no slip surfaces. As some of these areas have spider line cracks, I would also like the paint to act as a sealer. Both the cockpit floor and the upper deck areas need this treatment, so coverage is also an issue. Please let me know your experiences, both good and bad. Thanks for all suggestions.
Tom

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I would also like the paint to act as a sealer. Both the cockpit floor and the upper deck areas need this treatment
Tom... Kind of wonder about your idea of "paint" being the way to solve a "Cockpit floor and upper deck" sealing.

What is causing these areas to need "sealing"? By it's nature fiberglass is 98.9% water resistant and does not need paint to stop water intrusion. If these areas are showing water issues it is more likely there is a crack in the fiberglass or a penetration has occurred (i.e. a screw is through the glass and water is entering into the core). To find these leaks and plug them with epoxy is how you stop this problem. Paint is then used to dress up the repaired area.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
If the factory gelcoat has failed due to stress and flexing then chances are any paint you apply will fail faster. Factories usually have some pretty fancy equipment

Dec 27, 2012
Precision Precision 28 St Augustine
My last boat had a lot of fine gelcoat cracks in the cockpit floor. There was no apparent water intrusion and the floor was still solid, no flexing. I used Kiwi non skid and it covered the fine cracks. I sold the boat 3 years later and it still looked great. The key was that the cracks were fine and the deck was still solid before application.

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
Getting rid of spider cracks is a whole lot of work! Spider cracks usually aren’t structural. all old boats ave at least some of ‘em. Personally, I’d ignore the spider cracks, unless it’s a very beautiful classic or a very valuable boat. I'd just cover the nonskid with Kiwigrip and live with the cracks if they come back.

To repair hairline cracks, you first dewax the area, widen the cracks with a pointed gouging tool or dremel after prepping and sand the whole area, then apply a couple of coats of two part epoxy primer. Sand again before applying a new coat of nonskid finish. (That’s a quick overview, not full Instructions)

For new nonskid, you can use something like kiwigrip nonskid finish which is very user friendly. Or marine paint with nonskid grit mixed in.

Prep of the surfaces is the most important part of the job. Don’t take any shortcuts if you want the new nonskid to stay adhered and not peel.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
My last boat had a lot of fine gelcoat cracks in the cockpit floor. There was no apparent water intrusion and the floor was still solid, no flexing. I used Kiwi non skid and it covered the fine cracks. I sold the boat 3 years later and it still looked great. The key was that the cracks were fine and the deck was still solid before application.
:plus:
You beat me to it!

Bob J.

Apr 14, 2009
Sabre 28 NH
Kiwi Grip is pretty good stuff, did my topside & cockpit with it. Be careful right after you put it down, it's very slippery when it gets wet. After a week of curing wash it really good, you'll be all set after that.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
What about EVA foam products, like Seadeck (there are a lot of cheaper knock-offs)?
https://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/seadeck-on-the-deck.186857/#post-1392615
https://www.walmart.com/ip/10-Color...hguid=db975841-e77-16af5b090456cc&athena=true

I've been told Seadek is a 5-year product, after which you scrape it off and replace. It is springing up on a LOT of sport boats and small multihulls. I'm not sure what I think. I can certainly see it on seats and anywhere you might kneel.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Hold it! If you widen the cracks, you gotta fill them. You cannot just prime the widened cracks. The reason to widen the cracks is to remove the impurities trapped in them. You widen them, clean them, and fill them. Then you can use a high-build primer, a sealer primer, and top coat. Painting over them without widening them will just trap air and water in the cracks, and the cracks will open again shortly depending on the environment. If you use a VERY thick layer of epoxy paint, you can keep them closed for a while. Also, consider WHY the gelcote cracked. If the deck is not sound beneath, that has to be fixed. If the gelcote was faulty, the deck and core may be ok. If you are dealing with an existing non-skid, you should remove it, grind it off with a 36 grit wheel right down to bare fiberglass. Then, you can use the two primers and top coat with grit in it.
As noted previously, most boats of an age have some cracks. Some cracks you can live with. You can always cover them with different products. Frankly, all that sanding and repairing... I have done it, but it ain’t sailing!