Newer Models

May 20, 2019
Catalina 470 Docked out in Miami
Is it worth it to upgrade to a newer model? I have a 2004 Catalina but for a while now I've had my eyes on this 2018 Catalina 385. I've been a Catalina man my whole life and I'm not looking to change now, but if there's any other models worth looking at I would love to hear about them.

Thank you!

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
I’ve havent yet traded my wife of 35 years in for a new model. It’s gotten to the point where she is fairly low maintenance, keeps me happy, and I know where all touch points to make her happy or misbehave.

The new models are shinny but take lots of maintenance to keep it that way. It takes time to assess their moods in different situations.

Boats are very similar. But don’t tell Trish I said so.
I’ll keep my 83 C36 and wife around for the foreseeable future.

leo310

Dec 15, 2006
Catalina 310 44 Campbell River BC
Ask your self how many days are you on the boat now and will it change getting a newer one. If you say less than what you want and not really then stay with what you have, the 470 is a great boat and I wish we had one but in PNW 32 footer is ideal for gunk holing. Think of what you will want to do when you retire and where you want to go the 470 will take anywhere in the world in comfort.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Hey not only will you move up to a newer model, but you will make another couple of sailors happy as they too move up the ladder.

May 10, 2008
Catalina 355 Boston
Boats are truly personal choices, but I did go with a new 5 series boat. I’ve owned 3 Catalina’s and loved them all. However I saw enough in these to make the move and couldn’t be happier.
I’ve gotten to the point where I realize our sailing life is relatively short and wanted to enjoy it now. This will be our last sailboat and when the time comes (hopefully many years) we will settle for a nice little Downeaster from Sabre

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Welcome @JudgeFudge to the forum, where everyone has an opinion and we like to share.

Regarding the 385, I inspected one las October at the Annapolis Sail Boat Show. It had a very comfortable interior. A nice size cockpit. No idea how it sails. Seemed a bit wide in the bottom.

I tried to get the dealer to consider a straight across trade. I would provide him with a very nice antique refurbished Cal (pretty much one of a kind), for the a bit over the top but easy to put up with 385 Catalina. Disappointedly he was not even willing to consider the opportunity.

His loss.

I can see how having a 385 on the dock with your name on it would be a fun thing.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
We have been on a Catalina now for almost 10 years. We probably have 25k nm under that keel. After the storms down here we looked at a number of bigger boats that couldn't compare in comfort and build quality to our Catalina. Hell she survived over 185 knot winds with no damage.

If I won the lottery I would be after a 5 series. The 355 really holds my interest in just getting a few feet more and some of the improvements they did to the build. The 385 is nice too because they both have the centerline queen walk-around they are great liveaboards on the hook. I prefer the layout of the U settee better for living.

Good luck with your choice

Jesse

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
I have the least experience with Catalina and probably in general compared to most of the posters so far. That said we fell in love with new boats because the boats for sale on lakes here are just terrible. We came very close to the new Jeanneau Sun Odyssey walk around design, and anyone looking new should look too when talking serious new boat money.

The walkaround deck is just amazing and the first time you realize no more climbing over coaming and cushions and ducking under bimini tops you will too. Add to that a modern hull form, dual helm stations and dual rudders with a very nice control layout and open air cabin, it is still our dream boat. The 410 is the smallest, we really loved the 440 and had a great price on one loaded up for under $400k. In the end we decided that was a bit too aggressive a jump, the boat would not be on our lake so would sit unused a lot, and we got lucky and found our wonderful C310.

https://www.jeanneauamerica.com/en/boats/34-sun-odyssey-walk-around/619-sun-odyssey-410

I do like my Catalina and I do see the customer draw that the brand has, the new boats look just as amazing too, but the details I pointed out above are not in their line and I think in 10+ years the direction we will g will be Jeanneau when we leave work behind and sail on out. But who knows, my wife really loves the C310 and she even said she would like to try it first before jumping up to a bigger boat because, well it is paid for, and a new boat purchase does provide a nice amount for a beach condo as an option...

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
First of all, I've owned two Catalinas, and liked them both a lot. Right boat right time.

And they build very decent production boats. But as a company they ARE trapped in somewhat of a 'Buick' model, with a devoted but aging owner-base (and potential customer base) that is going to slowly die out, perhaps before they re-buy.

Several people said 'boats don't change much'. But they do. A LOT. You just have to look. Maybe Catalina could diversify. Beneteau has 5 sailboat lines, and 5 powerboat lines. But they are a Billion dollar company. That type of breadth is very capital intensive.