Catalina 22 Cooler Step Options

Sep 23, 2016
Catalina 22 Jacksonville
My Cat came with a blue cooler. Worked ok but not the best ice chest. I've got a 48qt Igloo Island Breeze squished in there now. Just barely fits with crank clearance, and it works better than the probably 30 year old blue one, but it doesn't have a drain. Anyone else found any better coolers that fit? Like a 3 day model of some sort?

Attachments

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
I've used a Yeti for about a year and a half now in our wing keeled MK-II........ But probably too high for a swing keel version with the winch crank. Much stronger to step on, and nice to not have to get ice every day or two.

Don
IMG_4558.JPG

Sep 23, 2016
Catalina 22 Jacksonville
Something like that would be nice. The island breeze is wider than the original blue cooler but a little shorter. Handles stick out by the cushions cause there's no room on the sides. So it's snug and no worries about the crank squishing your hand while lowering the swing keel. Just sucks it doesn't last longer or have a drain.

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
I would think that drilling a hole and inserting a piece of pvc with a cap or valve would be fairly easy. Plus you could located it where it would be most convenient. Also, a small hand pump would be easy to use too.

Sep 23, 2016
Catalina 22 Jacksonville
Think I found one that might work, a 25L generic Chinese Yeti style one. Looks like 25-30 quarts is the biggest heavy duty one that can fit. It's a little bit shorter in length and an inch taller and wider, 26x14.1x14" vs 23x15x15". I'll need to check whether there's room for it front to back,should be plenty to clear the crank. If it looks like I've got clearance I'll buy it and let you guys know next time I get paid.
41iRONN+koL._SY400_.jpg
31kpSFK5SjL._SY400_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M7293C...=I35EEK5YG65P7F&colid=SRQP6ST2MYYJ&th=1&psc=1

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
I just bought one of these last month. It fits perfectly on my 1987 swing keel C22 as a step - but not any room to spare. Seems to hold ice extremely well, and much, much better than the older Igloo cooler I had. It's actually 40 quarts, not 45. I should add it has molded in cup holders in the lid, so I'm in the process of cutting, epoxying and varnishing a 1/4" plywood top to screw down on the lid. There's also a 25% off coupon code floating around.
https://www.frosty-coolers.com/products/frosty-cooler-45

I also bought one of these for the port quarterberth - and I've been really impressed with the quality and ice keeping abilities. Price wise, it was actually a much better deal than the Frosty above. This thing is seriously nice quality for the money.
https://www.webstaurantstore.com/ca...treme-outdoor-cooler-ice-chest/215CG45WH.html

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2011
Catalina 22 MKII Scarborough, Ontario
The earlier post from CaptDon reminded me of how active a participant he used to be on this forum and how knowledgeable he was about each of the Catalina 22 models.
Has anyone here kept in touch with him or heard of him recently? The last I heard was that he had sold both his Catalinas and was pursuing other adventures. I am surprised that he has not been back to catch up with old friends and share details of his new adventures.

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
I don't know Don personally - but I believe he bought a 25 ft trailerable trawler, and is active with that. He was a great resource for the C22 forum-

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
The earlier post from CaptDon reminded me of how active a participant he used to be on this forum and how knowledgeable he was about each of the Catalina 22 models.
Has anyone here kept in touch with him or heard of him recently? The last I heard was that he had sold both his Catalinas and was pursuing other adventures. I am surprised that he has not been back to catch up with old friends and share details of his new adventures.
He is still on the FB page from time to time and enjoying the trawler life now. He left this forum a few years back because of a lot of misinformation was being passed on it. He also received a number of rude comments where people really did not seem to want help even after asking for it. I must admit I have become much less active here as well because of that as well. This forum has changed a lot since I joined and not all the information is as reliable as it once was. We get far more thread drift and comments on the C22 forum that have more to do with larger vessels than our small day sailors. It was a shame that Don left but I completely understand his decision. Now days if I need accurate information I go to the FB page or the C22 association directly and the Tech manual first. I generally only use this forum for basic knowledge and take it all with a grain of salt. I learned more in 1 week with the racers at nationals about my C22 then i did in over a year here on the forums. However who knows perhaps in the coming years it will change again. Change is the only constant in life.

And now to end the drift that I just complained about and get back to coolers I added some ½ foam from the lumber yard to my stock cooler and it helps keep ice about 3 days now over the single day I used to get. As for the step, while I like a ladder the cooler is just too handy as it also helps make the entire main cabin a berth if you want.