Interior wood reconditioning

Nov 30, 2009
Oday 28 Lake Michigan
OK gentlemen and ladies, need some help. The interior wood work on my ODay 28 is original. It is, however starting to show it's 34year old age. Not bad, but..........
I like the finish ODay had from the factory. The wood is a light teak. I'd call it a light golden. I've seen others, with different makes of boats, who have dress their teak with traditional teak oil, and several of them are now a dark wood, some very dark wood. I do not want that.
Is there anyone who has reconditioned/refinished their inside teak to a "light" color. Keeping it close to the original color from ODay? What did you do? What did you use? Traditionally I will just wash mine down with Murphy's oil soap.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
Boiled Linseed Oil thinned 50% with paint thinner. Apply a heavy coat let sit for 20 min, wipe off excess, let sit for 24, apply another doing the same. Do not use 100% BLO and read/follow the precautions on rag disposal. I have a great story of a fire station bay filled with smoke and having the FC finding it, but that's for another day.

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
I just refinished most of my interior with Watco Teak Oil - this is what Catalina used in the 80's, not sure what O'Day used but it matches perfectly. I sanded all of the finish off on the bad areas and applied two coats (may do a third), the rest I just cleaned up and applied one coat. Looks great. It's hard to get a light color from teak.

Nov 30, 2009
Oday 28 Lake Michigan
MikeHoncho and dmax, thanks for the suggestions. Nice options that I would not have otherwise considered. I've got some experimenting to do.

Aug 17, 2010
Oday 35 Barrington
The interior of my boat is natural sanded teak with NO polyurethane or varnish. Poly or varnish would show scratches that would be difficult to repair.

When I first acquired my boat I washed ALL the woodwork with Murphy's Oil Soap to clean out 25 years of dirty - rancid - sticky teak oil. For the past ten years I have applied LEMON OIL to the interior to provide UV protection and to hide/repair scratches.