Swing keel protection

Jun 20, 2016
catalina 22 Port San Luis
I am going to put my Catalina 22 on a mooring for a few months per year to avoid the hectic boat launch area and hopefully get more sailing time. I have been reading a lot about pros and cons of epoxy on the keel, etc. I am unable to sandblast the keel at the moment which is making me lean towards not coating the keel in epoxy. Has anyone or does anyone see a problem with coating the keel every couple months with a thin layer of marine grease or tar? I am planning on putting zincs on somehow and am wondering if, while not perfect, this would prolong the life of the anode by reducing exposed surface area of the keel?
thanks

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
I painted my keel in coal tar epoxy - if it's good enough for old tug boats, it's good enough for me. Like you said though, you probably don't want to seal it with anything at all until you sandblast it. I have a zinc molded "grouper" that can be attached by a wire cable to the keel winch cable, and then dropped over the side to allegedly decrease electrolysis. I've never used it though, so can't speak to how well it works-
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/mart...MIouTOmI2w4gIVBI7ICh2Y6AT1EAQYASABEgJ80_D_BwE

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
if your swing keel is "decent", scrape/sand all the loose crap off, put some rust lock & bottom paint on it and move on....not ideal, but fine till the sandblasting/epoxy job is due....I'm 2 years in, in saltwater and fine....2 cents

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
My keel has a few rusty spots, onto which I smear a little waterproof grease (I use Corrosion Block brand) between cruises. It is definitely keeping the rusty spots from getting any worse. It holds up well for a week at a time in saltwater, beyond that I can't say.

My only concern would be, would it/will it be difficult to DEgrease the keel, when it comes time for a renovation? I don't know the answer.

How bad is your keel, anyway, got a pic?

Jun 20, 2016
catalina 22 Port San Luis
Thanks. Yes it’s saltwater. Keel is ok... some pitting in areas but not terrible

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Paint the keel with anti-foul paint and as much as the interior of the trunk as you can. Marine growth can get a keels stuck in just a few weeks if not exercised frequently. Check the keel slap to determine if it is best to lock it in position half way up.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
further, our local diver service gives ours a once over, every 2-3 months or so...not expensive and I can't put my gear on for as little as it costs on a c22...15 minutes and done...

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
further, our local diver service gives ours a once over, every 2-3 months or so...not expensive and I can't put my gear on for as little as it costs on a c22...15 minutes and done...
Are you keeping her saltwater rpludwig? I was looking at your location on the avatar, and can't figure out if it's Birmingham, SC, or British Columbia, or Bermuda triangle - I'm terrible with locations..

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Are you keeping her saltwater rpludwig? I was looking at your location on the avatar, and can't figure out if it's Birmingham, SC, or British Columbia, or Bermuda triangle - I'm terrible with locations..
HH.......(LOL, BSC is Blackbeard Sailing Club, chk out our website and stop by when you get down this way, beers on me!)
yea, we have brackish saltwater on the Neuse River here in New Bern, NC....marine growth is pretty significant and active when the waters warm, I just drop the swing keel in the slip, diver cleans out the trunk while he does his thing...quik, eze, inexpensive....(bonus, since my keel hangers are stupid upside down :yikes:, a bit more trunk access?!!)

Last edited: