Difficult time raising the main

Feb 26, 2019
Seaward 17 Ohio
I have a Seaward 17 with an oversized mast. My main has a bolt rope that likes to get stuck about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way up. It feeds find for the first 10 feet, then binds up. I've been able to raise it fully only a couple of times with humgous effort. I've cleaned the track, and tried several lubes with no success. Can the size of the halyard make a difference? I'm currently using 3/8 nylon and an appropriately sized top sheeve.

Feb 8, 2007
Catalina 36 MKII Pensacola Beach, FL
It might help to tension your topping lift and raise your boom a bit when you are trying to raise the main.

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
I would lower the mast and try sliding the bolt rope up and down by hand, if it is easy enough to lower it. That will isolate it from halyard issues. Do you have 3 strand twisted nylon for the halyard? If so, that may be too stretchy. I'd switch to braided and see if it works.
Also, you may want to move this from inside this forum, since it is for Hunter boats specifically.

Dave Groshong

SBO Staff
Staff member
Jan 25, 2007
Catalina 22 Seattle
1/4 inch or 6mm would be an appropriate size halyard, 3/8 may be part of the issue. Slides would be better too, if your sail has grommets as well as bolt rope.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Is this a new problem? If it isn't maybe you need a smaller bolt rope. Bolt ropes in general suffer from friction. But on a 17' boat this shouldn't be that big of a problem.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Possible issues.

Dirty mast track.
Oversized bolt rope.
Bolt rope cover is loose and bunches up.
The mast isn't straight.
Stretchy nylon, use Dacron or polyester line, 5/16" is probably a good size. ¼" would work too, but is a little harder to handle.

Feb 26, 2019
Seaward 17 Ohio
Thanks for all the advice. Lowering the mast would be a big problem. I'll try changing the halyard first.

Also, does anyone have experience changing a sheeve in the mast foot?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@Dhamil6490 do your halyards run inside or outside of your mast?
Most challenges happen at the top f the mast where the halyard inters the mast, runs over a sheave and turns down ward. The diameter of the halyard needs to match the width of the sheave. If to big then the halyard binds on the sheave and you begin to get chafe. Halyard chafe can cause your apparent "binding" of the sail as you attempt to raise it.
Note that to some extent all sails get to drag as they near the top of the mast. Some more than others. You can just try to reduce all friction points to manage this.

Some of the usual Friction points.
  1. Sail luff bolt rope or sliders
  2. Sail track or bolt rope channel
  3. Bolt rope entrance to mast channel
  4. Halyard block or sheave at mast top
  5. Internal Mast chafe points where Halyard runs inside of mast
  6. Exit fitting and Sheave at mast base.
  7. Block at mast base.
New line will help. Just be sure to choose a size that will match or be a little smaller than your mast blocks/sheaves.
Better to use a low stretch type of line for a halyard. Stay set is one such choice. Nylon is not preferred. Some boats even have a line/wire spliced rope.

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
seaward 17 mainsails can be problematic and fussy because most of them have 6 or 7 full battens. (IMO as a sailmaker, 7 full battens on a slow, 17 foot monohull are just asking for trouble and not of any value but that’s a discussion for another day.)

Let’s see a picture of the luff and slide or bolt rope at the front of the battens. Then we can advise you better.

How many full battens on your sail?
Pic below is a seaward 23

Judy
Semi retired sailmaker

Attachments

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
You mention oversized mast are you speaking of the carbon fiber mast? If I remember correctly that mast had a block at the head board to give a 2:1 purchase to get that sail up.

Feb 26, 2019
Seaward 17 Ohio
No. It's an aluminum mast, definitely not the carbon fiber original. It's 25 feet tall with a bolt rope track. I'll get pics this weekend.

Feb 26, 2019
Seaward 17 Ohio
Thanks. I've lubed everything with Sailcoat and WD 40. New sheeve at the mast top. Looking for Sta-set.

Jun 25, 2004
6 battens. Please advise on your opinions about removing them. Pics coming.
Hi,

I didn't mean to say that I recommend removing the full battens. That probably won't work well unless you reshape the leech of the sail.

Let's diagnose what's wrong with your mainsail and fix it.
How old is your mainsail?
Does it have slides or a bolt rope on the luff?
I'd ask to see a picture of it while sailing upwind, but I guess you can't get it hoisted, right?

Next time you order a new mainsail for your 17, remember that 3 or 4 full battens generate a lot less friction during hoisting and dousing, and perform just as well, if not better, than the 6 batten version. (The picture I posted is a Seaward 23 mainsail that we built, with just 4 full battens rather than the oem 7 full battens.)

Judy
Semi-Retired Sailmaker

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2019
Seaward 17 Ohio
Hi, Judy. Correction: it has 5 full battens. The age of the sail is unknown. When I bought the boat, it hadn't been sailed in 3 years and it had been stored outside with no cover. The main was packed in a bag and folded neatly. It was stored in a garage, but unused in 3 years. The apparent condition of the main is good. It has no holes or other damage, and it looks like nylon but I don't know for sure. The bolt rope shows a lot of wear, but seems solid and intact. Some photos attached.

Attachments

Jun 25, 2004
Hi, Judy. Correction: it has 5 full battens. The age of the sail is unknown. When I bought the boat, it hadn't been sailed in 3 years and it had been stored outside with no cover. The main was packed in a bag and folded neatly. It was stored in a garage, but unused in 3 years. The apparent condition of the main is good. It has no holes or other damage, and it looks like nylon but I don't know for sure. The bolt rope shows a lot of wear, but seems solid and intact. Some photos attached.
HI, @Dhamil6490
those pics of the headboard are useful, but I still need to see what the bolt rope looks like and the batten end boxes at the luff look like. Please take several pictures of the luff showing bolt rope and batten boxes. Please put A small ruler in the picture so I can get a sense of the dimensions.

Also pictures of the top two battens when they are inserted into the mast. Hoist them above the feeder area so I can check for clearance between the batten box and the bolt rope.

Also a couple of pics of the bolt rope so I can assess its condition please

All photos high resolution please.

The sailcloth looks like polyester to me. There’s no way it would be nylon.

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
That current halyard line looks pretty stretchy to me. Maybe when you get a low stretch line like Sta Set it will work a lot better. If you have not looked at the techniques for using old halyard to pull new (eg stitching them together or using an untwisted large paper clip plus tape) there are threads on this site somewhere.