Lettering on PVC

Feb 13, 2017
Pearson 28 Barrington, RI
I have a new inflatable made of PVC that I need to put the registration numbers on. Was going to go to HD and use theirs but worried how waterproof they are. Any suggestions as to a source for lettering that will stick and not come off PVC?

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Plus 1 for the Boat Number Plate. Everything else is messy and/or needs periodic touch-up. And there is a spot for the state decal as well. They don't stick very well to the tubes.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Depending on your sailing area I would stencil them to deter theft or facilitate identification and recovery.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Stenciled my numbers eight years ago and have no idea if they faded. Regarding the registration sticker I chose to ignore the letter of the law and placed it on the stern plywood, where it would adhere. If questioned by a zealous enforcement type I will just point to the sticker on the stern and see what happens. No one is that big of a rules person.

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
I bought a set of stick-on type letters at my local West Marine that was supposedly specifically for inflatables. They looked very much like the ones in the amazon link in the post above. They were probably twice the price. They stuck OK. They were removable from inflated tubes if you used moderate effort with a finger nail. When I deflated the tubes, they buckled & came off partially. I was able to rub them back on again.

When I first went to apply them, I thought that I was missing the sheet that had the letter F on it. It turns out that not all the letters are in alphabetical order in the set that I got.

My state inspection stickers don't like to stick to vinyl. I ended up getting a placard for the side with the sticker. I attach the placard to the hand holds with strings.

I concur about the value of lettering at least one side with the numbers directly on the tubes with some form of permanent marker or paint.

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
Stenciled my numbers eight years ago and have no idea if they faded. Regarding the registration sticker I chose to ignore the letter of the law and placed it on the stern plywood, where it would adhere. If questioned by a zealous enforcement type I will just point to the sticker on the stern and see what happens. No one is that big of a rules person.
Don't know about other states but in Michigan putting the registration sticker on the plywood transom is specifically allowed. The numbers still must be on the forward half of the vessel. I paint mine on with Brightside. Doesn't fade but will start to peel after 5 or 6 years. I also don't deflate the boat so that saves on bending and stretching the paint.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida

I do the same thing. have not heard any complaints from law enforcement even in Key West. Not having a current sticker will get you a big fine though. Those claims that the little boat is a " tender to" will not fly unless you can evidence it was deployed in an emergency.

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
In Florida, the rules specify exactly where the sticker is supposed to be. The transom is not listed as an option. I have seen a few inflatables that did have it there. I am not aware of anyone getting a hard time about it, but I haven't really asked around about it.

As far as T/T status goes, if the mother ship is registered in a jurisdiction where that makes it legal, then it will be legal in Florida for the period of time that the mother ship is allowed to visit without transferring to a FL registration. Off the top of my head, I think that is something like 90 days, but I need to look that up. Not a lot of jurisdictions recognize the T/T these days. I think that a few still exist, but I can't name them. Hopefully, someone else will chime in with the answer to that one.

ToddS

Sep 11, 2017
Beneteau 373 Cape Cod
For 10+years, I've put my registration sticker on the transom rather than up near the bow where the lettering/numbering is displayed. My state (Massachusetts) clearly states that the sticker has to up up with the registration numbers, but in practice, I've had many a harbormaster, coast guard, etc. check in to make sure I had life jackets, etc... and never once had them complain about the sticker location. I've explained that "They just peel off the tubes up there", and they seem to have no problem with that answer. It is entirely possible that some day I'll meet up with a "letter of the law" guy, who won't be pleased, but... so far so good. Just make sure that sticker is up-to-date, and you've got adequate PFDs, etc... because you're more likely to get stopped when they notice that it's missing from the bow. (my two cents worth of advice)

Mar 20, 2011
Hunter 31_83-87 New Orleans
Ordered registration numbers from BoatsUs and applied to dinghy. About $25 for a pair.