H26: Hatchboards/washboard dimensions

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
By chance? Anyone have the measurements of the bottom most hatchboard on an H26? My boat is an hour away and I have some projects I want to work on.

upload_2019-5-20_17-56-32.png

I'm wanting to install an inexpensive Haier AC unit. It looks like it could just sit on the bridge deck leading into the companionway and I could design a new hatchboard with a cutout.

It was already 95 here this past weekend..... Uhg! not wanting to sleep on the boat in that. I have electricity at my slip and it is included in the monthly slip fee so.... might as well sleep comfortably on the boat at night.

Aug 5, 2005
- - Laurel, Ms
rgranger,
just seeing your post this morning and now I'm at work. could get the dimensions tonight after work if that's not too long for you. Maybe someone can get them for you sooner....

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I don't mean to be the wet noodle here, but my experience in making my boards and others, the companionways on glass boats aren't always as symmetrical as they should be. I take that experience to also mean there may be a lack of consistency in measurements between boats of the same model. I don't know this is true, I'm just saying.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Aug 5, 2005
- - Laurel, Ms
rgranger, keep me posted on how this works out for you for I need to do the same thing. I have always mounted a window ac in all my boat in this way, but the H26 the hatchboards slope inward, and its going to make stepping over the ac to the 1st step very difficult. The step is not straight down but will be under the plane of the a/c unit. I pretty sure I could do it ok, but my wife is going to struggle with that step over and back.... like I said curious how it works out for you...
also, so you do not need the measurements from me tonight ? right....

Jan 19, 2010
Thanks @jbreland

I'm going to follow WG's advice and take my own measurements.

I found this very small ac unit...
upload_2019-5-21_12-11-9.png

It is available on Amazon.

I hope to set it on the bridgedeck here...

upload_2019-5-21_12-22-12.png

And design the hatchboard to slip around the AC. I figure I'll need to find a way to put angled tracks on the AC unit so I can simply set the AC down on the bridgedeck and then slide the hatchboard over the AC. Getting in and out won't be super hard. I can remove the hatchboard and step to the side of the AC. If the tracks I put on the AC unit are strong enough, the hatchboard will hold the unit in place. It might be worth setting the AC off of center to make enough room on one side for a shoe to fit as you step around the AC unit. I could then just lift the hatchboard out and step into the boat. I'll probably only use it for sleeping anyway so not a big mobility problem.

There is a small lip between the bridgedeck and the companionway ledge. I will most likely cut a piece of rubber foam mat...

... and put this under the AC unit to level and for vibration dampening. Ron (above) also suggested putting a little padding in the track to dampen vibration. That is probably a good idea.

Home depot sells PVC board. I plan on using that as the stock for the new hatchboard. I'll use the leftover to cut a few new covers for the lockers in the lazarette area. Two of those on my boat have suffered water damage and the plywood is delaminating.

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
I'd consider building some sort of frame or base for the A/C using perhaps PVC boards or trim from HD. Maybe add legs that can swing down to vertical to support the rear of the unit on the cockpit floor and up against the bottom when you stow it. The base could possibly include tabs or hooks that go over the lip in front of the bridgedeck to secure it from sliding aftward.

Jan 19, 2010
When I purchased the boat, it came with a Dometic carry-on that slipped in the front hatch. It had R21 and you can't get that stuff at a reasonable price anymore. Anyway, the Dometic dripped water all over the person sleeping in the V-berth.

I found this youtube where someone has done what I am thinking... but the unit I hope to install will be much smaller.

Fred

Sep 27, 2008
Catalina 28 mkii 745 Ottawa, Ontario, CA
I agree that the dimensions may vary from boat to boat but here are the dimensions for mine. (No guarantees)
86AC209B-3960-40E2-AB8F-B8ED1E621377.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2010
Wow @Fred
That was very generous.

I drove the hour to the lake after work.
Here are mine
Width= 24.5” bottom
Width= 28.75” top
Height = 11.5”.

They are a little different

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
But is your companionway symmetrical or is the trapezoid a little off? My companionway is slightly off and one side of my boards lifts slightly. It's livable, but not perfect because I assumed symmetry when I made mine. Another boat I made a set for has the bottom board cut around the CB trunk.
20180403_122100.jpg
The tabs are not the same size. They are about 3/8" different in width from each other.
Just check your diagonal measurements. Be sure they are the same on both diagonals.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Fred

Sep 27, 2008
Catalina 28 mkii 745 Ottawa, Ontario, CA
Just a side note - The companionway dimensions vary somewhat when the boat is on the trailer vs. on the water. When on the trailer my companionway seems to close up slightly (maybe an 1/8") so that the gap above the hatchboards (between hatchboards and companionway slide) is visibly reduced.

Jan 19, 2010
But is your companionway symmetrical or is the trapezoid a little off? ...

-Will (Dragonfly)
@Will Gilmore Good point! I'll check... thanks.

Something else I'll have to consider. I'll need to cut a new hatch board that is the size of BOTH of my lower two hatchboards. The AC unit I want to install is 12" high and my bottom hatchboard is only 11.5" high. So I will need a hatchboard with a 0.5" notch in the bottom to sit on top of my AC unit.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Draw it out to scale and post the drawing with dimensions for the unit's rough opening. Is the unit sitting directly on the companionway sill or is it going to sit in a notch in the bottom board? If the latter, you need enough material thickness for strength to support the overall frame in the opening and the stresses of simply handling and storage. You mentioned a foot sized gap for stepping past. What will sport the unit across the top? Or are you having it sit on something?

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jan 19, 2010
What will sport the unit across the top? Or are you having it sit on something?-Will (Dragonfly)
See post #8. You can see the "ledge" in front of the bridgedeck. The unit should be able to sit right there.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
So the bottom board will actually be two boards, left and right? You'll remove one side to step through? Set the unit off-center for more pass-through room.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jan 19, 2010
I'm thinking like this... off set to one side will give just enough room for me to put a foot on the bridgedeck. I will have to make a new hatchboard that will replace what is currently my lower two hatchboards and then make the appropriate cut out.

upload_2019-5-22_17-29-33.png