1987 Hunter 31 B&R rig cost

Jun 15, 2015
Hunter 31 Port San Luis
Hi all, I'm just trying to get a ballpark cost for replacing all the standing rigging on a 1987 Hunter 31. Anyone done this and have a rough estimate?

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
In 2015 I paid $6400 for all new standing rigging, two new halyards, and new sheaves in the mast. Kemah Texas 1983 Hunter 31.

AXEL

Mar 12, 2008
Catalina C30 MKIII WEST ISLIP, NY
Hi all, I'm just trying to get a ballpark cost for replacing all the standing rigging on a 1987 Hunter 31. Anyone done this and have a rough estimate?
If you do the replacement. Make sure to check the rigging before (or after) with a magnet. It should NOT be magnetic. Years ago I had a couple of stays replaced and unknown to me the yard used some cheap stainless wire. Two years ago two of the (replacement) stays let go in a blow and I lost my mast (C30). I brought the broken mast and rigging to a recycle plant. I told the guy it was all top quality stainless wire. He took a magnet to it and behold, the two stays that let go were magnetic. All the original wire was not (as it should be).

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
In 2016, I was quoted around $4500 to replace mine, in St. Petersburg, FL. 1983 model. That's with them coming to the boat, not me taking the boat to them.

Feb 15, 2012
Hunter 31 Massilina Yacht Club
Replaced all my standing rigging and some running rigging for $4,470.46 in FEB 2018. Added costs at the yard included crane services and moving the boat.

Mar 20, 2011
Hunter 31_83-87 New Orleans
In 2017 I paid about $6k for all new standing rigging installed with the mast down and this included crane time. Same time purchased all new running rigging 3 halyards, topping lift, reef lines, out haul, RF line, Cunningham) from WM during a 50% off sale for $700.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
If you do the replacement. Make sure to check the rigging before (or after) with a magnet. It should NOT be magnetic. <Snipe>A the original wire was not (as it should be).
Unfortunately this is a common misconception. Stainless wire used for wire rope will often have some ability to attract a magnet.

Cheap wire rope is rope that is not made to a specific rating. You should only use rated wire rope for your rigging. It is not a function of being magnetic or not. Austenitic stainless steel will become magnetic when it is cold worked. Cold working to a controlled amount is how to modify the tensile strength of these alloys.

dj

AXEL

Mar 12, 2008
Catalina C30 MKIII WEST ISLIP, NY
Unfortunately this is a common misconception. Stainless wire used for wire rope will often have some ability to attract a magnet.

Cheap wire rope is rope that is not made to a specific rating. You should only use rated wire rope for your rigging. It is not a function of being magnetic or not. Austenitic stainless steel will become magnetic when it is cold worked. Cold working to a controlled amount is how to modify the tensile strength of these alloys.

dj
Some ability to attract a magnet maybe.....but the magnet should NOT stay attached to the wire. I have checked the original stays on two Catalina 30's that I have owned and with the exception of the two stays that I mentioned previously which failed and took my mast down with them, none of them will "support" a magnet. Take it for what it's worth. I'm just putting it out there. I can tell you it's no fun being dismasted. There are yards/suppliers out there who will sell you cheap wire and charge you top dollar.

Dec 23, 2016
Catalina 27 Clinton CT
Go to Defender and fill out the custom rigging form online. They will quote an estimate. Did my lower stays last year for less than $400.00