Passanger capacity plate

Dec 25, 2018
ODay 34 262 Galesville MD
I am the recent owner of a 1984 34 ft O'Day and I am not planning any large crowds for the boat, but I am wondering what the "official" passenger capacity is. I can't find any capacity plate and wonder if any of you know either the capacity or where to look for the plate. Sorry for the somewhat dumb question.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Short answer is it isn't required, you can do a calculation to find it, I did it when I got my O'day 25, but learned that it didn't matter as my comfort is 4-6 max.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
Coast Guard only requires capacity plates on boats under 20', NMMA requires on boats under 26', and Sailboats, canoes, kayaks and inflatable boats are exempt from this standard. Most jurisdictions prohibit "overloading" or "unsafe" operation and you always need 1 lifejacket per body.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Your boat does not require a capacity plate. The USCG leaves up to the Captain of the boat to decide how many persons could safely be aboard considering the conditions. The Captain needs to take in consideration the experience of the passengers, the length of the trip and the weather conditions. A Captain with a good mate may carry more than the Captain alone.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
.... Sorry for the somewhat dumb question.
It isn't a dumb question, but I was afraid someone would (and probably still will) give an answer that does not apply in spite of all the times it has been shot down in these forums. Do your own thing. Skipper knows best.

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
O'DAY published recommended crew capacity for most of the smaller boats, but with the 34 they only list that she had 6 berths. As others have said, on a larger boat like the 34, it is the Captain/Owner's discretion that determines capacity (within reason!).

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Capacity plates are not required on sailboats or vessels longer than 26/20 feet (NMMA/Federal). Others it’s based on 150lb passengers.

Number of people = vessel length (ft.) x vessel width (ft.) ÷ 15

So my C36 could take 35x11/15=24.6. Or way too many to fit.

When I was doing charter fishing IIRC it was one person for every 2 feet of railing.

May 23, 2016
O'Day 1984 23 Island Park, NY
Had 6 on my 23 Saturday... 4 experienced, 2 not... Those 2 made the cockpit a little crowded since we were racing... If they were experienced I'd have had them on the rail, which would have made it comfortable..
Sorry for the dumb answer

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
As always in these threads, Post #8, what is the source of your info ?