Venture 222 keel lock bolt

May 11, 2019
Macgregor 17 OHIO
Purchased me a 1975 venture 222. I’ve noticed that someone along the line of owners patched over the keel lock bolt hole in the trunk so now you cannot put a lock bolt through the keel when it’s lowered. Is this a huge deal? Can I still sail the boat with the keel lowered keeping tension on it with the cable?

Attachments

Aug 22, 2011
MacGregor Venture V224 Cheeseland
If you sail in skinny waters you won't be locking your keel down, unless you like being stuck all of the time.
In bigger waters, where you wouldn't be hitting bottom all of the time and where you might get caught in big waves,
lock it down.

Now I won't say that I haven't ever had the keel ride over a stump and have the keel land back down harder than I would like but
I choose that potential downside over being constantly hung up and not being able to raise the keel quickly.

Use good sense for the conditions you plan to sail in.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
It could be a big deal if the swing keel is ballasted. There are known case where a boat has been knocked down by waves and wind and the heavy keel has jackknifed back into the trunk destroying it and the boat. When sailing in thin water and calm predictable condition the pin can be pulled to avoid damage in case of a grounding. The pin can also be used to secure the keel in a half way raised position where draft is reduced but adequate stability is maintained. Not familiar with your boat and could not tell you where to drill the holes. The PO probably covered them to prevent water intrusion.

May 16, 2011
Macgregor V-25 Charlton, MA- Trailer
Here is a post from me last week. I will follow up with my original response to the Foam Block post.
"I actually just fixed the lock down pin situation on Tuesday. I drilled out the poorly fiber glassed holes. Took a stainless pin just a bit larger than 3/8" and wrapped it in masking tape that was inside out. I set the pin in place and slid fiberglass patches that I cut holes in onto it. I used West System Heavy duty epoxy and laminated them together. Both on the cabin side and under the seat side. A quick layer of Saran Wrap so I could push the material tight around the pin. Once cured, the pin slid right out with one finger. I am going to grind the high spots off and use 3/8" drain plugs that I purchased from Sea Dog to seal. I haven't used a pin in 8 years and other have not really had the need to either. It is for insurance only. There have been a couple of times in Buzzards Bay that I would have put it in. 4-6 footers, and larger at times on the beam with foaming tops that you can hear as they break. A knock down doesn't scare me as I have been there but if it gets past 90 degrees the pin may help keeping the keel where it needs to be for righting the boat. It will not only keep it from crashing into the hull but eliminate a giant shock load or severely pinching the keel cable and hardware when you least need it. It is nice having options."

May 16, 2011
Here is the first post. To pin or not to pin is the question. I will still sail without unless in an extreme situation. After having repaired the hole I will now use the nylon threaded rod that I got from Mac master Carr. I also purchased nylon wing nuts and rubber backed washers. It will prevent the sudden crash of the keel and will at least allow the pin to get pulled through under an extreme shock load like hitting a rock at hull speed. Minimizing the damage. Unlike the stainless one that nearly put the Tsatz down for good.
"I understand both lobbies. However, the previous owner of my 25 gouged an arc in the keel trunk from the lock down pin after hitting an object. The boat sank in 5 minutes. The foam kept it afloat for the tow in. This was in the ocean off Westport. I guess the coast guard was aiding the recovery. I never knew this till about four years after ownership!! For me it is a small bit of insurance to pay for losing storage space. I just had it all out again to clean. It is a PIA but for me peace of mind because I know it works."
KB

Feb 3, 2019
Macgregor Venture 21 Lake Casitas
It will prevent the sudden crash of the keel and will at least allow the pin to get pulled through under an extreme shock load like hitting a rock at hull speed.
So, what you are saying is the nylon rod would act like a break away in a hard hit but be sufficient to maintain the keel in the down position in a knock down?

May 16, 2011
Yes, That is the plan. I hope I don't have to test it. I have heard of only one story where the keel sank the boat but one is enough. I think it was in FLA where the boat was rolled by a wave while crossing a bar.

LloydB

Jan 15, 2006
Macgregor 22 Silverton
2nd story but a near miss. set anchor for nap and awoke a few long minutes later to the gentle trickling sound of running water. It was strange as didn't remember a stream at this part of the lake and still 1/2 asleep. Swing my legs off the bunk just to maybe see whats up, zap both feet instantly wet to my ankles(felt like above knees and gaining) 150% AWAKE. Nap task now completed might be a good time to get the boat out of the lake, now, before it's on the bottom as leak is trickling faster. Got it partly on trailer asap to stop sinking bailed enough to trailer home. Could not figure where leak was until removed the swing keel and refilled bottom and found crescent hole in starboard side of keel bunk. I had replaced the original lock down pin with a shorter 1/4" bolt and left it in when lowering the keel after that launch.