First Boat- O'Day 192?

May 20, 2019
- - Vermont
Hello everyone,

I'm working on buying my first boat this week. I have a bit of sailing experience but I am certainly rusty, but looking forward to sailing and learning a lot this summer. I'm seriously considering this O'day 192 to sail on Lake Champlain. I'm looking for something in this size range that I could take on a weekend trip here and there and sleep on it occasionally with one person, and take a few friends out for day sails. I've read some good things about this boat, but the main concern anyone has put forward is that these boats are a bit slow and don't sail as well as say a Cat 22 or something in that realm. For me, I feel that it may not make a huge difference as I'm just getting back into sailing and I won't be racing. But, I want a boat that's fun to sail and has at least half decent performance/speed. Can anyone shed some light on this? Should I buy this boat?!

note- it's one of the only decent options with 2 hours or so of me. There were a few Cat 22s that sold quickly.

this is a link to the boat if you'd like to see it.
https://nh.craigslist.org/boa/d/windsor-oday-192/6887075789.html

Thanks for your help!

-Adam

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
If the trailer is in good shape (including tires) and the trailer lights work.... and the sails are not blown (ask for a test sail) and the O.B. does indeed start right up, AND the keel does not need a lot of work... then that is a good deal. She looks well cared for.

An important trick is to try and start the motor again after the test sail... when the motor is cooled down. Sometimes people will run the O.B. for a long time right before the buyer gets there and it starts right up because it is still hot.

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
Hello and welcome adbk710,
I remember really admiring the Oday 192 at a time when we owned our first sailboat, a Lockley Sea Witch (aka plastic bath tub). The one you are looking at seems nice for a boat with some age. Boarding ladder is a plus, boom high enough so it won't be a head knocker, good sized cockpit for crew. Be aware that in a boat that size you will find that the bow goes up and changes the sailing characteristics of the boat if you fill the cockpit with people. I like the stern shape since it is not just a flat end of the boat which would detract from its appearance and its sailing ability (in my opinion). The 192 seems to be a good choice as a first boat that is trailerable. Over the years we have owned 3 Oday boats and enjoyed each one for their individual characteristics. Best wishes, 31seahorse.
Excuse me, Adam, I missed your name the first time I read your post. Additionally, I have often said that boats we have owned sailed better than we did! That will certainly be true for your first boat. Enjoy the experience.

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
I would say that a 192 should fit your situation, and be a good boat to learn (or re-learn?) sailing techniques. I wonder if those that mention the 192 as being "slow" may be referring to the original sails, using a furling jib that was setup on a wire-luff furler that was at best, inefficient. Many owners have upgraded to a better furler that fits over the forestay and will allow a much better set of the sail, I would think that would help a lot! Others have eliminated the furler and had hanks added to the jib that clip to the forestay, the only problem there is the jib halyard block may need to be relocated higher on the mast to accommodate the repositioned jib (original furler required jib to be set back from the forestay to avoid interference.) A good sailor can make a slow boat faster, and a so-so sailor could turn a J-22 into a "slug". Funny thing is, I've heard people describe the Cat 22 as "slow"........... like a said above, sailboat performance can often be affected more by skippering skills than design. I used to have a friend with a San Juan 21, hardly a slow boat, but I would have to all but drag an anchor to not sail away from him in my Day Sailer II with blown-out OEM (1979!) sails. My Dad and I were pretty evenly matched (in boat speed) when he was sailing our old CAL 21 (similar boat to the SJ 21), so a SJ 21 should have easily kept up with my boat or even sailed slightly faster.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
@adbk710 that looks like a nice boat in the pics and it is hank on jib so should be much better then a fuller on that size boat. For $3k with a trailer and newer outboard is hard to beat. I'd say have fun the first year and then think about new sails your second. I had old sails my fist year and they worked, but switching to new sails our second season was a great improvement to the boat sailing abilities. I didn't realize how big of an improvement it would be, but is worth the money. Lots of winter sales on sails so wait till then.

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
I love mine. I use hank on 110% jib. She sails best on a reach, and in light air I can beat Catalina 22s and Beneteau First 235 off the wind. She doesn't point too terribly well compared to some boat, but well enough. There are a couple others 192s on our lake, and I can walk away from most, including one set up with a furling 135% genoa. I don't want to bother putting sail track down the side decks, so I just keep on with my 110%. Some track on the cabin top would help with jib twist. I wish it had a traveller, but the only real option is a custom transom mount bridge over the tiller, which would make climbing in on the swim ladder more difficult. Mine points higher on port tack because the boom gets pulled slightly more to port by the offset backstay. I rigged an adjustable topping lift so I can vang sheet, and sometimes in light air I will get twist set between topping lift and vang, and then pull the boom slightly over the centerline as if I had a traveler, in order to point a few degrees higher, say to clear a headland without having to throw in an extra tack. I've slept and cooked on mine plenty with a 1 burner butane stove like they use for buffet omelets, and a SS grill I clamp in a janky way to the aft cockpit handles. I love my little 192.

Sep 20, 2005
Oday 35 Westport, MA
I got back into sailing on a 195 Weekender...it was a great boat, not the fastest on the bay, but I took it out to Cuttyhunk Island, about 10 miles from my home harbor, many times. I think it would be a great choice. It got me loving sailing again and 20 years later, it’s my life!

Sep 29, 2015
Oday 222 Lake N ockamixon, pa
Oops...I mean my 192...time blurs the details!
If you want to sleep 2 folks I suggest a 22 footer. And those two should be comfortable with each other. My O'Day 222 is fast, has a nice comfy porta-potty space. You just need a privacy curtain. As for the roller furling jib, it's a life saver. Mine's a Cruising jib (like iron) 100% and can be pulled in quickly without having to go forward, on that fine bow, to wrestle with securing it. There's a winch on the mast to crank the halyard hard, so there's minimal sag to the head sail. I take it you're not racing! The Cat 22 is a good family boat that will handle big air a little better because of the broad stern. But the quality is not there. Check for soft spots in the deck if you're looking at one. There are many brands out there that are great sailors. I'm familiar with these three. Buy one that fits your needs; AND you can resell easily.

winddr

Aug 19, 2018
O’day 192 Webster lake ma
If you did not get the one in the listing I have one you can call me 5087403523
Charlie

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 310 278 Lyndeborough NH
I still use and enjoy my O'Day 19 (very much like the O'Day 192) as my trailer sailer. I first sailed it on Lake Champlain. The centerboard is fiberglassed plywood (about 50 lbs) with the keel holding the 300 lbs of lead ballast. (The 192 has 400 lbs.) It is fun to sail alone or with 4 adults on board. I use a Torqeedo Travel 1003c electric motor to go along with quiet "green" sailing.

The Catalina 22 has a similar rating to the O'Day 192 but has an 800 lbs swing keel. I like the lighter centerboard. It can be raised without affecting the center of gravity. It also beaches easily.

Unless you are a hardcore "racer", the O'Day 192 will be satisfying. The O'Day 19 is very close to the Rhodes 19. The O'Day 192 is just a little slower, but far from being sluggish.

My primary sailboat is a Catalina Capri 22 which I keep in Winthrop MA.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
I'm guessing you bought the boat? I went to look at the listing and it is saying that it was taken down by the seller.

Good luck, I think that would be a very nice boat to sail on Champlain. Same lake I sail on...

dj

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@adbk710
Adam... Come back man and tells us what happened.
Great to have you join, but you need to not just tease us with “I’m going to buy a boat” and then disappear.

Hope it turned our to your satisfaction.

May 20, 2019
- - Vermont
Hello everyone!! Very sorry for the radio silence on my end! I bought the boat! 1985 O'day 192. I will post some photos when I get some decent ones. The boat is being bottom painted this week because it had some really old chipping paint and everywhere I read says that I need to paint the bottom in Lake Champlain because of algea and zebra mussels. The guy is using an Interlux paint, can't remember which exactly.

Only other thing is that the boat has an indent or two from the trailer, so I had them check it at the marina to make sure there's no cracking and they said it's okay, and I'm having him check the spot on the inside this week as well to make sure.

I'm stepping the mast this weekend - should be a good time, never done this before!.....

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Have lots of fun.
All pictures are good ones when they involve your boat. Some may be a little better than others.

Sep 29, 2015
You'll be happy with your 192, it's built like a tank. Take care of her and she'll take care of you.

Sep 29, 2015
Rudy made a new rudder for me this spring. Nearly everything O'Day to keep your boat in shape. By the way, I figured out how to remove the winches for maintenance, or replacement. Push down hard in the center of the winch while pulling upward on the drum. A Lewmar #6 will fit right in.