Modified My Mast Trailer For an Easier Transport!

Dec 31, 2016
Beneteau Oceanis 351 Charlottetown
For those of us with a short sailing season, some of us are lucky enough to take our boats home and that presents another problem, what to do with our masts. Some clubs (ours as well), have masts storage trees, but some op to take the masts home. I made this mast trailer from the metal of the boat cradle that came with my boat. It's 35' long, the mast hangs over the truck roof. My wife and I usually lift the mast off (with the help of our skid steer) and the floating pads have been a pain to line up when setting back on. So I came up with a plan, and installed 4 shock absorbers, no problem now as the pads will self-align!

Attachments

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
That's so cool. From my Canadian sailing buddies I understand that stick-up-storage is a lot less common in the Great White North then is down here.

Dec 31, 2016
That's so cool. From my Canadian sailing buddies I understand that stick-up-storage is a lot less common in the Great White North then is down here.
Ya Jack, 99% of boats here in town and the western end of the Island are sticks down, the eastern end are sticks up (but then again, they have a travel lift down east:) )

Aug 22, 2011
MacGregor Venture V224 Cheeseland
Mee sea green pea brain has a hard time fathoming the need for an object such as a mast trailer...

I'm so sheltered.

Dec 31, 2016
Mee sea green pea brain has a hard time fathoming the need for an object such as a mast trailer...

I'm so sheltered.
Well, with a little boat , I can see where you're coming from, but for those of us with long heavy masts that need to be moved this works.

Aug 22, 2011
MacGregor Venture V224 Cheeseland
Well, with a little boat , I can see where you're coming from, but for those of us with long heavy masts that need to be moved this works.

The world is indeed a marvelous adventure and I am so looking forward to seeing
such things for myself rather than spending decades reading of them...

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
I made this mast trailer from the metal of the boat cradle that came with my boat. It's 35' long, the mast hangs over the truck roof.
Very cool idea. You can probably use it to transport masts for others to make a few bucks. I would have paid a small fee for having my mast brought to the house last winter so I could work on it at home.