what is that?

kco

May 19, 2019
Hunter 25.5 2 Portneuf, Quebec
Hello
I'm new here, and hopefully will be soon a sailing beginner. I've only sailing dinghy a couple of times. We just bought a keelboat, a Hunter 25.5. We have a lot to do and still more to learn, before our first sail...
Someone can help me with the picture attached.
bottom left : there is an orange thing installed in place with no wire,
another orange thing with wire not installed,
bottom right: a black thing with wire
and a wire connected on the top left stainless bolt

What is that?
and how to repair it?
How to ensure it's ok?

thanks
kevin

Attachments

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
One of those orange things is your depth sounder, one is your speed log and the third is just a plug to keep the water out when you pull out one of the other two for cleaning.

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
Welcome to sailing! We do our best to help each other with problems like yours, many of which we inherit from prior owners (“PO’s”).

You can help us in your case by examining each device carefully, and letting us know any numbers or words you find on each one. A picture or description of your instrument panel(s) would also help.

To get the conversation started, here are my guesses:

1. Lower right throughhull. Could be a depth gauge. If it is, this is a priority to get working.
2. Lower left orange throughhull. Could be a speedometer. Paddles outside the hull would confirm this.
3. Orange device in the center connected to 1. Could be the pulse generator and signal processor for the depth gauge.
4. Wire from the bolt (keelbolt?) to a screw. Could be a part of a grounding system.

More later.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
One of the plugs has a paddle wheel on it. That one is your speed log. It needs to be cleaned every now and again. Probably best to keep it out of the water until you actually need to know your speed. The depth sounder has a smooth surface on it and occasionally you need to wipe off the scum that builds up on it.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Speed log impeller and depth transducer respectively. It’s typical to remove the impeller during layup replaced by a dummy plug which is in the thruhull pictured.

kco

May 19, 2019
Thank you very much All!!!
So the speedometer seems broken, the paddle is not present, there are two holes to hold the paddle but one hole has a crack...
I've cleaned and dried the depth indicator (moist inside made the reading difficult), seems to work since I read 0, the boat is on the ber.
Like David in Sandusky suggested I will focus on depth... has speed is not a priority for me.
I will try with a bucket of water, holding it under the sensor... to see if I can read 1 foot depth...
Cheers all
kc

Attachments

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Hello
I'm new here, and hopefully will be soon a sailing beginner. I've only sailing dinghy a couple of times. We just bought a keelboat, a Hunter 25.5. We have a lot to do and still more to learn, before our first sail...
Someone can help me with the picture attached.
bottom left : there is an orange thing installed in place with no wire,
another orange thing with wire not installed,
bottom right: a black thing with wire
and a wire connected on the top left stainless bolt

What is that?
and how to repair it?
How to ensure it's ok?

thanks
kevin
That is a Signet Marine knotmeter transducer
Your boat has, (or had at one point), signet instruments
These aren’t current, nor supported. You’ll need to put in a new transducer for whatever knotmeter you choose to install.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Use your gps for speed. replace the depth... they aren't that expensive.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
I will try with a bucket of water, holding it under the sensor... to see if I can read 1 foot depth...
Depth transducers require no air space between the transducer and the water and not all read depths shallower than 2-3'. I you mean holding a bucket of water up to your hull, your bucket trick may not be conclusive. If the depth transducer is of the removable type, you might be able to pace it in the top of a bucket of water to test.

kco

May 19, 2019
You're right, don't work, I understand ultrasound wont travel in air, I was able to keep the bucket few secondes but no luck.
I didn't find the exact spec of my transducer but most of them need 2-3' to work... I had not the intention to remove those 2 plugs... under/through the hull I was afraid. But I think I should do to clean and test easily.
Under... it's looks like that: pic attached

Attachments

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
There is a good chance you will not be able to remove the depth transducer without damaging it. If you want to ensure it works follow @Joe S recommendation and replace with a new transducer and display. You can buy a shoot thru the hull transducer and 2" dedicated display for under $150 on Amazon.

kco

May 19, 2019
ok then, you all suggest to replace... I'll follow the advice, thank you for the keyword : "shoot thru the hull transducer"
but I have also to complete the hole-port replacement, heads installation, Diesel tank relocalisation (back to the original place), I'll have to look at the 1GM10 too, sailing rigs, pheww!! So many interesting things to learn...

cheaper: https://www.amazon.com/HawkEye-D10DX-06T-Sounder-Temperature-Transducer/dp/B001UFAAJ0
in between: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001EYDSZU/ref=psdc_551460_t1_B001UFAAJ0
have a better look: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PACDKYQ/ref=psdc_551460_t5_B001UFAAJ0

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
I always remove my paddle wheel, put in only when needed. There's a shutter built in the holder which restrict water ingress while swapping plug for paddle. However there isn't any shutter for depth sensor holder so I leave it in all the time as swapping depth sensor for plug is a frightening affair as you see the amount of water rushing in during swap 'cos there's no shutter to stem water flow.

KenY

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
pheww!! So many interesting things to learn...
Ya got that right.

That Hawkeye sounder should do fine.
Since you really can’t position a shoot thru hull sounder until the boat is in the water, I’d wait until you know if the current one works or not.
If it doesn’t go with the Hawkeye.

kco

May 19, 2019
thanks for the comment Ward H,
but not sure to understand :
Since you really can’t position a shoot thru hull sounder until the boat is in the water
I thought that the boat should be out of water isn't it?
sorry English is not my native tongue

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
No problem, the terms are confusing and you can actually mount it out of the water but you should test the location first.
A "shoot thru the hull transducer" is one mounted inside the hull and does not penetrate the hull. There is always the possibility that where you mount it may have a small void in the hull, affecting it's performance.
It's best to have the boat in the water, put the transducer in a plastic baggy filled with water and place it agains the inside of the hull. You can then determine if the spot you chose will work OK or not. Once you found a location where it works you can mount it with any of several materials. Epoxy, silicone, or a toilet bowl wax ring can be used.

Transducers that are mounted in a hole in the hull, like your existing one, need to be installed while the boat is out of the water as you need to take out the old one or drill a new hole.