A question about transoms and motor mounts.

Jan 27, 2019
Catalina 22 Okeechobee
A few months ago I bought a 1971 Macgregor 2-22. Since I am committed to finishing my current boat, she has sat tarped in my drive since I got her. I am beginning to see a dim light at the end of the tunnel of the Firstmate build and have begun to think about how to go about rebuilding the Mac. I guess one of the problem with the Mac. 2-22 was that the scupper in the motor well was too high to fully drain it. The previous owner drilled a hole through the transom to the lower corner of the motor well. He then put in a piece of PVC pipe and sealed it with silicone. I went into this knowing I would have to replace the core in that area. I have been wondering if I should do away with the motor cutout and motor well. I do not think it would be much more work to extend the new core to the top of the transom filling in the motor cut out. If I did this I would mount the motor on an adjustable motor mount. So my question for the group is which do you prefer. The motor mounted directly to the transom in a motor well or mounted on an adjustable motor mount. I think I already know the answer but I would appreciate your insight.

Later

Sandcut

Oct 22, 2014
Pearson P303 #221 RockPort Maine
The motor mounted directly to the transom in a motor well or mounted on an adjustable motor mount. I think I already know the answer but I would appreciate your insight.

Dear Sandcut,
Can you provide us with any PIC's to view?
1. I assume its an outboard motor installed and the well can handle a range of Xhp to Xhp
What is it currently?
2. If there is enough room to install an adjustable mount I would go that way so you can clean the prop better as well as ease of access for maintenance.

However, For me personally, I would install with tracks to slide transom up or down. IMO I can't visualize without a picture.. Is this like yours?

Best regards, Capt. Rob

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
The extended motor mounts move the weight of the motor way back. This can have a negative impact on your sailing, trailering (sway) and increases your overall length (Higher slip fees). We had this setup on our MacGregor 26D. It came with such a mount when we bought her. Once the mount broke, I removed it and the boat certainly sailed slightly better.

Having said all that I have no experience with a 2-22
Ken

Aug 22, 2011
MacGregor Venture V224 Cheeseland
Are you sure your transom is cored?

Usually Mac transoms aren't and only have a board glassed in
over the motor mount area. At least the older ones are like that.

I have actually considered doing the OPPOSITE of what you propose.
I am thinking of cutting down a portion of my transom to give
better access to the motor head and controls when the mount is in the down position.
If I am having motor troubles on the water I currently have to hang off the back of the
darn boat to deal with it. Disconcerting in big waves.