2000 Hunter 340 Water Tank Gauge Trouble

May 21, 2018
Hunter 340 San Diego
Hi Guys, The gauge for the water tank always reads full (even when it's not). Any thoughts?

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Ah, your water gauge sender isn't mechanical, i.e. no float?

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 340 Forked River, NJ
I had a defective WEMA water tank sensor on my 2000 H340. I could not find a suitable replacement match on the WEMA web site so I contacted them at info@wemausa.com. It turns out that the Hunter factory installed water tank sensor on my boat (marked 01-00, W2-17-H336) is a now discontinued model and has been replaced with the WEMA S3 series. This is a 0 to 180 ohms sensor and is 17 inches long. Curiously, the unit on my boat is a European, screw-in sensor which is mounted in a standard five-hole American style adapter ring. The gauge-compatible replacement for my boat is the European sensor # S3-432.

I had to deal directly with customer service at WEMA via email and phone and they were very helpful. As it turns out, at that time you could purchase the new S3 sensors from the web site. That may have changed by now. The online sensors look the same but the ohms are different. The ones on the website are 240 ohms at empty and 33 at full. The replacement sender I need is 0 at empty and 180 at full. If you order online, you will need the entire system (gauge + sender) to make sure the units are compatible. I had to order my new sensor by phone directly from WEMA. Their contact number is on their web site.

I ordered a new sensor and unscrewed the old one from the mounting ring. The Hunter factory sealed the threads with some unknown caulking so I used a hot air hair dryer to soften the caulking and the sender unscrewed without any problem. There are only two wires to reconnect.

Jul 1, 2016
Hunter 340/SL Tracys Landing, Maryland
My float gets stuck in the empty position when I fill the tank. I beat on the top of the tank with my hand where the sensor is located and it frees it. Maybe your flit is stuck in the Full position.

pfaffk

Mar 4, 2011
Hunter 290 Haverstraw
I have a 2001 Hunter 290 and I found that the float just fell apart. I had to cut and install an access hatch the replaced the entire unit.