Water leaks on a 34?

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Herrington South, MD
Found quite a few leaks.
1) ports
2) waste and water deck plates, old gaskets gave way
3) anchor locker drain - old gasket gave way and leaked into bildge (check access port in forward cabin)
4) outdoor weather speaker had broken water seal
5) poorly installed engine shaft seal (bad "professional" mechanic)
Still need to check muffler

PGIJon

Mar 3, 2012
Hunter 34 Punta Gorda
I've faced most of these when I purchased the boat.... Seems like #5 should be your #1 item to take care of.... but you probably know that......

Jan 22, 2008
Looked under the forward berth and found 4-5 inches of water!!! I think that all the water is coming in through the anchor locker drain. Replacement parts being installed, then we'll flood the locker again and see if that is where the water is coming into the boat.

Jan 22, 2008
FOUND IT! This was the hose that drained water from the anchor locker. After 30+ years it finally cracked. The thru hulls were also replaced as the one overboard broke in my hands. The leak is much bigger now since we had a hose directly into the locker. Water would fill this compartment up to about 3 inches, and then it would seep into the area under the forward berth, and then into the bilge.

upload_2019-5-17_8-23-47.png

tjar

Aug 8, 2011
Hunter Legend 35.5 Tacoma, WA
If this just drains from the anchor locker overboard, why did you leave the loop in the line? It seems this is just creating another weak point that is likely to leak in another 30 years.

Jan 22, 2008
It looked like the original had a loop, but you guys are right, I'll take it out.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I can understand that you see the need for a right angle. Issue is you used a 90 degree right angle. This type of right angle restricts the flow of water. If you happen to get a shell off the deck into the drain hose it stand a good chance of catching in the right angle and blocking the drain.

Your need a fitting with a radius more like this.
0E81A051-FA4D-4335-BC3F-00AC059DBB64.jpeg

Or differently tubing that allows you to have free flow.

Jan 22, 2008
Found another leak! The aft water tank input had no gasket and only a small dab of sealer. This allowed water to flow into the lazarette and then down
the rudder shaft and into the aft cabin.