336 Alternator Replacement

Sep 4, 2010
Hunter 336 Maquam Shore, VT
The alternator on our 1995 336 has breathed its last breath. The captain is contemplating replacing the 55 amp with an 80 amp. Has anyone done this? Thoughts about it? Apparently the main concern seems to be if wires will melt....

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
The alternator on our 1995 336 has breathed its last breath. The captain is contemplating replacing the 55 amp with an 80 amp. Has anyone done this? Thoughts about it? Apparently the main concern seems to be if wires will melt....
We really need a lot more info about how you use the boat, how big the bank is etc...

Also Hitachi dropped these alternators, they're no longer even made, and the only replacements are now cheap Chinese units that don't compare to the original Hitachi. Unless you want to source the components and build one yourself don't count on a replacement 80A lasting very long if a 55A genuine Hitachi has already died.

Here are a couple of links to get you started and on the way to understanding how to undertake a project like this:

Automotive Alternators and Deep Cycle Batteries (LINK)

Marine Alternator Installation - Tips & Tricks (LINK)

Sep 4, 2010
Hunter 336 Maquam Shore, VT
I'm not sure of the battery capacity, but I can get that info. We don't do a lot of motoring, just when we anchor or approach the mooring. Usually about 30 minutes for a day-sail all said and done. We cruise the lake about three weeks of the year, those days probably have a good hour or so of motoring per day. A couple old solar panels help top off the batteries (I can get info about them). LED lights inside, no refrigeration. The biggest battery drain is probably running the radio or charging phones (usually when the motor is running--a mad scramble by the kids to get to the chargers first!).

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
If it were me, I would take the 55A Hitachi to an electrical shop and have it repaired or rebuilt. For some other things I may consider them cheap replacements but not for the alternator. Forget about getting an extra 25A of clean charging power these replacements are less efficient.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
If you are interested I have an 80A Hitachi I just took off our 41DS could be had for a less that rebuilding.

AlexB

Aug 9, 2016
C&C 36 Great Kills harbor.
what exactly is wrong with with alternator they are easy to to fix.
and B+ wire just double to be safe.