Inflatable dinghy recommendations

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
The flat bottoms also steer like a beach ball (very poorly).

A transient that sailed through my area a few weeks ago had a dink with an inflatable keel. It separated from the tubes & caused him to buy a new dink while he was here. I don't know how common that problem is.

Any of the soft bottomed dinks concern me when I pull up onto a beach with shells. I am concerned about cutting a small hole in the material. I've only had the one soft bottom dink. I've been very careful when beaching it. Oyster beds & areas with barnacles are no-go zones for any inflatable, as far as I am concerned.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
That's a good point. We now have zebra mussels here so while it wasn't really an issue before it will be now.
Unfortunately with a C22 soft bottom is the only reasonable storage option.
One day I plan on trying my sister's rotomoulded kayak strapped inside the lifelines on the bow. Jib clearance may be an issue.

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
So why not a porta boat? Small C22 seems dragging would be a pain. The idea I had is with the kayak rack on my C310 a folded up port boat would be very snug to the bow lifelines yet big enough for use around a marine. All thought experiments for me because we have no need on our lake for the forseeable future.

https://www.porta-bote.com/

I just bought a 8'6'' Porta-Bote last week, and really like it. I also picked up a 2.5 hp Suzuki 4 stroke for it, and the combined package, boat and motor, come in at 97 pounds. The Suzuki 2.5 only weighs 29 lbs, and fits in the port quarterberth without any problems. I haven't had it in the water yet, but the boat looks like it will actually fit 4 adults if needed, and it has an impressive volume of space when set up. I'd never seen one in person before buying it, but the quality looks high, and it has a 10 year hull warranty. The Porta-Bote looks like it will fit along the lifelines on deck, or for longer passages, it can be fit right down the center of the cabin, or along the outer hull inside the C22. A little tight, but doable. From what I can see of it, it looks great, but I won't really have a chance to put it in the water for a few months yet due to work obligations. If anyone is looking, it might be an option.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Cool deal @Hardhead I would like to hear back for sure. The only issue I've read about and hear is the seal between the bottom of the transom and hull that on old ones seems to leak, this maybe fixed on the new models .

Apr 11, 2017
Cool deal @Hardhead I would like to hear back for sure. The only issue I've read about and hear is the seal between the bottom of the transom and hull that on old ones seems to leak, this maybe fixed on the new models .
I've heard that too. The newest models, sold now, have been re-designed with an integral folded transom, and supposedly do not have any problems. There is a continuous seal at the transom. It doesn't look like it will have any problems. I actually got a great deal on a Annapolis boat show display model, and it was still in the shrinkwrap. The Suzuki 2.5 was purchased a few days later through a Porta-Bote/Suzuki affilliation, and was $745, no tax, free shipping. I'm glad I bought it, and it looks a lot better in person than what one might think from the Porta-Bote website. Storage might be a little tight, but I've measured it carefully and it should be doable without major issues. Supposedly they tow well, and I've heard the secret is to tow them on a very short bridle, where the bow is fairly close to the transom of the larger boat. Once I manage to get it in the water I'll post a review. The inflatable is definitely a more economical option, but if the Porta-Bote lasts 10 years - it's really not too bad in comparison. It should beat always wading to shore though, with screaming kids afraid of seaweed...

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
with screaming kids afraid of seaweed...
Wow, where'd that phobia comes from? Usually you can't get the kids away from it! :)
Porta Boats have their adherents and all have good stories. There was a couple who rebuilt a W32 and sailed from NOLA to MX and raved about theirs. Sundowner. Had a great website, now down 'cuz they returned to the states and went rv-ing. Mike on CF has one and loves it.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
One day I plan on trying my sister's rotomoulded kayak strapped inside the lifelines on the bow. Jib clearance may be an issue.
Then just move it further aft, like amidships. You don't want that windage on your bow, either. (Former C22 owner)

Apr 11, 2017
How long does that deal last?

Nice looking boat. Easy on the gelcoat too in rough weather.

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
just keep hawking west marines flyers-- seems to me they run the sale about twice a year or more--

Jun 3, 2019
Catalina 22 flicka 20 Flicka 20 Chase creek
I tow a achilles hypalon ls1 7.7 ft air floor. I tow it behind my recently acquired free catalina 22
Holds 3 people light as weights 52lbs rows fast as has no keel so skates accross the top of the water.
I use my yamaha 2.5hp 4 stroke and my 2 hp 2 stroke outboards on her.
Check craigslist in your area lots of inexpensive used inflatables. Or west marine pvc 7 foot model is on sell from time to time. 8 foot or less should wirk good.

Mar 2, 2018
Catalina Wing Keel San Diego
I have a 2 man inflatable Advance Elements Kyack. Positives are once you have it inflated It's great for paddling around doing coastal cruising ,cave exploring and towing behind the boat while motoring and light wind sailing. negatives are it is half the size of the boat and is a bit of work to inflate and deflate while in the water.