Leaks!

Nov 16, 2017
Catalina 310 #246 TX
The port side handrail on the coach roof is leaking during torrential rains. It seems easy enough to remove the 3 screws, clean, apply sealant and reinstall. Is it really that easy? Or am I missing something?

Nov 16, 2017
Catalina 310 #246 TX
The butyl tape arrived quickly and the handrails on the coach roof will get sealed this week. We also seem to have some sort of leak in the rear berth area. The mattress was moldy when we bought the boat. I haven't been able to pin point the location but I think that it may be leaking under the pedestal and then out of the cover on the ceiling of the aft berth and down the aft bulkhead. Is it possible to rebed the pedestal without removing the steering cables?

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
The butyl tape arrived quickly and the handrails on the coach roof will get sealed this week. We also seem to have some sort of leak in the rear berth area. The mattress was moldy when we bought the boat. I haven't been able to pin point the location but I think that it may be leaking under the pedestal and then out of the cover on the ceiling of the aft berth and down the aft bulkhead. Is it possible to rebed the pedestal without removing the steering cables?
That cover comes off pretty easy. Should be obvious if there’s a leak there. Not sure you can lift the pedestal without at least loosening the cables, but I really don’t know.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Only problem with butyl is that it eventually compresses and squeezes out from under the stanchion bases. You can tighten the fasteners more but it eventually squeezes out again. Going to try placing washers between the stanchion base and the deck embedded in the butyl. My hope is that the butyl will be compressed sufficiently to make a leak tight seal but not so much that it squeezes out. This issue is because butyl remains in a plastic state indefinitely while other sealants set or harden in a few days. Trying to get the best of both worlds here.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Roy. What you comment about, plasticity of butyl is also the benefit.
Not sure which of the butyl sources you are using but have found these past 4 years that Mainsail’s product has held up, no leaks. It also helps if you prep your holes to provide pocket for your butyl to fill. Counter sink the holes.
https://marinehowto.com/bed-it-tape/
BC4353BD-8F7E-4706-AD41-C1D7315BA5FD.jpeg

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
John, I use Mainesail's butyl. I did not have a problem with it leaking only squeezing out from under stanchion bases. The stanchion where it is most noticeable is the one "assistants" grab to help dock the boat. The constant levering causes the stanchion to feel loose. Going to add something solid like washers underneath to prevent movement. Would like to use an electric fence device on the stanchions but I got talked out of that plan.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Darn, that sounds like a reasonable plan.

You call out and warn the dock folk, “Do not grab the stanchions “. A little Tazer touch would provide adequate reinforcement.