Widgeon Oar locks.

Jun 11, 2018
O'day Widgeon Lower Stanchfield
Anyone have experience mounting oarlocks to a Widgeon or similar boat?
Where did you mount them? What length oars did you go with? How did it turn out?
I'm thinking about making a removable seat and foot pegs on the board trunk and brailing the boom to the mast using the jib halyard.
Thanks.

Jul 27, 2017
O'day Widgeon Wisconsin Rapids, wI
Sorry about the long delay. I have oar-locks and oars on my old Widgeon, pre 1971. The center of the oar-lock pivot is 42" forward of the corner of the transom measured from the outside edge. The oars are 7' long. I made the oars myself using suggestions from Brian Gilbert's book FIX IT AND SAIL. The oars could be a bit longer but not much or they wouldn't fit under the side benches where I keep them secured with line thru cleats, which are screwed to the bottom of the side benches. When underway, I keep the oars in the oar-locks with the business end hanging out past the stern and held up with line thru cleats on the side decks; the oars can then be quickly brought into play. When rowing I keep the boom up using a topping lift and pull the sheet out of the block above the cleat on the center plate trunk. I don't have photos but I trust I've given enough detail. Hope this helps. Note: rowing seat is a plank on the CB trunk held in place by wooden blocks with arches cut into them to conform to the shape of the trunk. I used a hole saw, can't remember the size but a bit bigger than the CB radius so as to glue carpet inside the arch. Clear enough??? Rowing actually works fairly well but I wouldn't want to do many miles that way.