Hose that has an unusual stains/rust/burnt ?

May 2, 2019
Hunter 38 Annapolis, MD
I'm heading out of town in about 7 hours to take a look at another 41DS as a back up in the event the other seller decides not to sell.

In this photo on the 41DS that I'm going to take a look at, I noticed that the hoses on the engine look strange. Or at least I haven't seen this on other Yanmar diesel engines during my search.

Is this a problem? Is it a simple replace hose thing and/or other? And what would it cost to repair this? Just an estimate. Any help would be much appreciated as I am leaving out at 0300 hours.

enginej.jpg

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Often the wire reinforcement is not encased well and it will rust.. Those are typically "heater hose" that you can get easily but do yourself a favor and get the really good stuff (NAPA handles some) .. I wouldn't opt for the uber expensive silicone stuff, but a high quality hose from Gates or those kinds of folks..

May 2, 2019
Hunter 38 Annapolis, MD
Often the wire reinforcement is not encased well and it will rust.. Those are typically "heater hose" that you can get easily but do yourself a favor and get the really good stuff (NAPA handles some) .. I wouldn't opt for the uber expensive silicone stuff, but a high quality hose from Gates or those kinds of folks..
You got it and thanks for the information. I don't short cut so if this boat was purchased by me it would be done right.

Thanks again!

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
It looks like one of the hoses has a fitting cut into it (a T for something). That could have leaked, or as @kloudie1 said, the wire reinforcement can rust. Where the T was cut in, there is probably exposed wire.

Greg