Leaking Water Tank On Port Tack-O’Day 34’

Mar 6, 2018
O’day 34 Jensen Beach
On out last 2 outings one of the bilge pumps kept cycling on, but strangely only when we were on a port tack. After checking all of the thru hulls that would be submerged on that tack, and finding no leaks, I was scratching my head.
The Admiral suggested tasting the bilge water, which I thought was a pretty revolting idea, even though the bilge is pretty clean. I used the TDS meter which read exactly the same as our potable water so...one of our original plastic water tanks, mounted under the settees on each side is leaking.
So far I haven’t been able to locate the leak. Obviously it’s at the top as it only leaks when healing over 20 degrees. My next step will be to vacuum the bilge dry, overfill the tanks, one at a time and watch where the water comes from.
Has anyone experienced this problem? I will appreciate any suggestions.
While I’m at it I’ll also check the torque on the keel bolts.

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
Your tanks may or may not be the same types of tanks as my 1985 31 but the one I have has a small "depressed" section on the top of the tank. Just a few inches by a few inches and about an inch deep. There is a small, not very noticeable crack in this area that leaks a little when the tank is full. It has been that way for the 15 years I have had the boat and not lengthened and the leak is minimal so I have just lived with it.

Nov 6, 2013
ODay 34fl pompano beach
I had the same issue on my 84 Oday 34. I cut out the old tanks and replaced with soft sided tanks. Best thing ever. More gallons easy operation.

Mar 6, 2018
O’day 34 Jensen Beach
Thanks for the replies.
My boat’s tanks have the indentations in the top, I had a small leak but I fixed it with Scotch Weld.
Gatornolrs2, , what manufacturer, model number for the replacement tanks?
Did you have to Cut out fiberglass replacie them?
Thanks again
Bill in JB, FL