Block in Lazarette

May 10, 2019
Columbia 36 Severna Park
So I am a bit new to this boat and have been doing a full bow to stern overhaul, I came across a wood block in the lazarette and wasnt sure if it was a mount of some sort? Any insight is much appreciated!

Attachments

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
So I am a bit new to this boat and have been doing a full bow to stern overhaul, I came across a wood block in the lazarette and wasnt sure if it was a mount of some sort? Any insight is much appreciated!
Could it be an autopilot mount? Is it sitting on a tank? I see that small black hose that looks like a vent line.

May 10, 2019
Columbia 36 Severna Park
Could it be an autopilot mount? Is it sitting on a tank? I see that small black hose that looks like a vent line.
It may be but the quadrant is located in a different area, I'm gonna do some more investigating tonight. Its not mointed on a tank but directly to the hull itself. When I sound the area externally I get a dead sound and when i went into the lazaretter and moved a bunch of stuff I found it. My current autopilot is a wheel mounted belt system as opposed to a tiller arm on the quadrant.

Oct 1, 2007
It may be but the quadrant is located in a different area, I'm gonna do some more investigating tonight. Its not mointed on a tank but directly to the hull itself. When I sound the area externally I get a dead sound and when i went into the lazaretter and moved a bunch of stuff I found it. My current autopilot is a wheel mounted belt system as opposed to a tiller arm on the quadrant.
It looks like a bead of some caulking underneath right next to the old beer can pop top. :) I would advise not to remove the clevis pin. Might hold the keel on :)

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
Interesting - the block is actually adhered (epoxied / glass) to the hull, or is it just resting in there and may be removed for use elsewhere? Based on the look, and apparent size (20 cm / side is my guess), it appears to be the mount for a U-bracket base with heavy forces applied. If it cannot be moved, what is above this? Are there any similarly sized brackets on-board for temporary mounts, such as fishing gear, holding the lazarette hatch open, etc.? Perhaps it was just glued into this spot as a terrible joke!

Oct 1, 2007
I love this detective work. It seems that someone went to great lengths to mount the metallic fitting at a certain elevation, as in an autopilot installation. Maybe many years ago a PO thought about an autopilot, then moved on.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
the old beer can pop top.
That's not a Beer Can pop top. It is a ring cotter key.
A PO went to some work to build a stout block and adhere it to the hull. I am in the camp of a possible part to a hydraulic Auto Pilot. Would need more context - wider view of surrounding area to better see what else is in the area of the lazarette.

Welcome to the forum @Mlachman. as you can see we love a good puzzle.
Favor us with pretty pictures of your boat.

May 10, 2019
Columbia 36 Severna Park
A PO went to some work to build a stout block and adhere it to the hull. I am in the camp of a possible part to a hydraulic Auto Pilot. Would need more context - wider view of surrounding area to better see what else is in the area of the lazarette.

I absolutely will, i am heading back over there on Sunday and will snag some more photos and see if i can figure out what else it may be. Im leaning towards some form of autopilot mount as well I just need to check the proximity to the steering quadrant. Thanks for all the guesses!
P.s. it is a cotter ring, there was alot of junk in the lazarette

Oct 1, 2007

Right you are sir. On closer look it is a "ring ding", as we call them here on the Right Coast :)

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
Evidently clevis mount for something like a hydraulic cylinder. Strange that the object is bolted into the end grain of the stack of wood . That is not the strongest approach.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
If that's the hull, I'd also concern myself with that hose with no shutoff.

Ken

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
If that's the hull, I'd also concern myself with that hose with no shutoff.
Ken
Except you don't know the context of the photo. I've got several through-hulls with no shutoff, mainly accessed through the lazarettes .... all above the waterline. LP gas vent, water tank vents, bilge outputs.

May 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Lake Lanier
Strange that the object is bolted into the end grain of the stack of wood . That is not the strongest approach.
I would guess it whoever put it in thought it was easier to make an angled bottom this way. Perhaps it was done at the boat and they only had a circular saw?

Jan 22, 2008
Islander Freeport, 41 Ketch Longmont, CO
How about this being a possible lifting point for the hull? What is on the opposite side of the hull in this same spot?

Just a thought,

May 10, 2019
Columbia 36 Severna Park
Raymarine Autopilot Linear drive mount.
You rock!! Thanks so much for helping figure this out!! I got a better view as well... The saga continues though, I found what im guessing is a fiberglass water tank formed into the cabin sole. It is quite inaccesible as it has teak floor boards over the top and only a small bung for access. The PO seems to have coiled the remaining water line into a pile and tucked it under the floor panels. This boat is teaching us patience and to enjoy the treasure hunt!!

Attachments