Inverter/draw charger selector

Mar 27, 2016
Catalina 30 Hingham
Hi I have a new to me 2004 Hinter 36
And I'm having trouble understanding how the inverter/ charger selector works any help would be greatly appreciated
20190511_191944.jpg

May 12, 2019
Hunter H36 Boston
I also am confused.
I have a hunter 36 with the same as your picture, and also a Xantrex freedom 10 charger/inverter, which seems to be the standard one they used in those models.

I wish someone could just give me the most basic breakdown of how to use it.
All of the extra details seem too wordy for me to understand, since I don’t really get it.
I just want to know how to use mine without damaging anything.

Can someone that has the same setup please “dumb it down” for me?

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I leave the big switch on both and the breakers control each bank and I think left switch is to
Bank 1 and the right breaker is Bank 2 and yes confusing for sure but that is what I do.
My H-36 is a 2007 and got rid of the 2 4D’s and have 1 bank of 4-6 volt batteries and 1 start battery and 2-195 watt solar panels so hardly use the inverter/ charger for charging.
Nick

Oct 27, 2016
Seattle
And now a word from the sponsor...
Cabinet catch for many Hunters

These catches were common on Hunters from the Legend-era through today's Marlow-Hunters. We keep a large stock on hand for emergency shipments or just getting spares.
See the product

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
I wish someone could just give me the most basic breakdown of how to use it

Can someone that has the same setup please “dumb it down” for me?
The problem is many if not most of these boats are no longer in the factory wiring configuration. They rarely stayed this way for very long once owners started cruising with them.

From the factory a 2004 ish vintage Hunter usually, but not always, shipped with two equal sized banks of 4D batteries, often Prevailer GEL's, controlled by a 1/2/B/OFF switch. (Battery #2 was actually an option that most dealers opted for) The inverter and other loads, if a factory installed inverter option was selected, were connected to the "load" side of the battery switch so the inverter was only powered for inverting or charging when you set the switch to #1, #2 or BOTH position. If the standard battery charger option was selected the charger connected directly to each bank via the 1/2/B switch. If the inverter was dealer installed or owner installed the wiring can be entirely different.

The problem is that, over the years, many owners moved away from the largely inadequate factory bank wiring, with two equal sized banks, and made one bank the "house" (large) and one "start" (small). Some owners also added an ACR or Echo type charger to charge both banks from one inverter source automatically (some inverters have a built in Echo charger and some don't), and some used the BOTH position for charge direction. Other owners took it a step further and gave the inverter/charger its own ON/OFF switch, and a more direct path to the house bank, so the main 1/2/B switch could be isolated, while dockside, and the batteries could still be charged..

Bottom line is that the only way to know for sure how to use it, is to know exactly how your boat is currently wired. The only way to know this is to get into the wiring, investigate it and draw a current schematic of how it is physically wired. The inverter should only be run from the house bank.

May 12, 2019
Hunter H36 Boston
Thank you for relying.

Our boat currently has the same configuration as when the PO bought it- he never changed anything. 2 equal sized 4D battery banks.

It has the 1/2/Both/off selector switch, as well as the 2 panels underneath that(as the picture above)- #1 switch for battery#1, #2 switch for battery #2 when using anthing on the DC main panel.

My previous boat only had the round 1/2/both/off switch so...

I just don’t know what position to keep that 1/2 both selector switch in in when charging and when turning on anything from the DC main panel.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Thank you for relying.

Our boat currently has the same configuration as when the PO bought it- he never changed anything. 2 equal sized 4D battery banks.

It has the 1/2/Both/off selector switch, as well as the 2 panels underneath that(as the picture above)- #1 switch for battery#1, #2 switch for battery #2 when using anthing on the DC main panel.

My previous boat only had the round 1/2/both/off switch so...

I just don’t know what position to keep that 1/2 both selector switch in in when charging and when turning on anything from the DC main panel.
As a boat owner you will need to figure this out, we can't do it for you from a distance, and it may mean hiring a marine electrician to map out what you have and then explain it to you.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
That switch is just a regular (1,2,Both, Off) battery switch to direct which battery bank or banks to draw from or charge. The label on the face which indicates Inverter Charger Draw Selector just means the power source for the inverter and the leads for the charger are connected via the switch. A Freedom 10 charger inverter will default to the charger function when connected to shore power. Disconnect "shore power", turn the battery switch dial to 1 or 2 or both and at the Freedom 10 unit push and hold the INVERT button until the green led lights turn On. In the Master panel turn the Outlets breaker On. Plug in a lamp to one of the boat's 120V outlets and turn on. If the light comes on you are in business. When done you can turn inverter Off by once again pressing the INVERT button. It is understood that if you are using the inverter it is because you have no external AC power. Go ahead connect and turn On "shore power" and the LED charger light will go on and you will be back in charge mode. The Freedom 10 has the capacity to switch modes automatically but manually turning On and Off the inverter mode keeps it simple and helps saving power. The Freedom 10 is well protected against overload and electric shorts so it is a hardy unit to damage. If the unit fails to turn on when you push and hold the INVERT Button then stop an retrace the 12V input wires back to the battery. I trust you had a survey done so the surveyor should be able to confirm any testing to the operation of the inverter/charge.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2016
Catalina 30 Hingham
Thanks for everyone's help . I have definitely have better understanding let me know if this sounds right or if I missed anything . The 2 switches down on lower left are the power to the DC main panel switch 1 uses battery 1 to power DC panel switch 2 uses battery 2 to power the DC panel . Then on the 4 way switch ( off 1 , 2 or both) decides which battery is powering the inverter if inverting the DC power to AC or if running the boat which battery the alternator is charging be it 1 ,2 or both . And if plugged into shore power it automatically charges both batteries in off position. Does this sound right?