Sailing a kayak?

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
I'm in the process of building a kayak and got to thinking: If you were to put a sail on a kayak, how would you do it and what kind of rig would you pick? I'm thinking a triak? Outriggers? Kiteboard style? Sunfish?

Here is what my lovely bride started me with (birthday):
https://www.pygmyboats.com/boats/pinguino-145-kayak-kit.html
I have no idea if I'll sail it. I guess it's what I get for thinking.

Ken

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
Seems like alot of add ons to make something kind of sail-able

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
Ken,

I had a sail on a kayak my grandfather and I built. It had a 45 sq ft main made by Pete Sutter racing sails in 1964. It had two leeboards and a rudder that operated by pulling or pushing a long lever. Anything closer than a beam reach was dicey. Downwind was pure delight.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Ken, I inspected the Pygmy Boats in Port Townsend. They have a couple of racks of them there. I think you might be able to rent one. They looked long but a bit unstable. Looked as light as a rowing scull. I read they are Stitch and glue construction Okoume plywood panels. Had the look of strips of Port Orford Cedar.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
That Hobie is very cool and pretty fast in the right conditions. That kit kayak is very cool too!

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Beautiful boat.
I like your thinking.

Don't forget the lateral resistance.

Keep it simple. Look at small iceboat sails. Minimum running and trim controls for maximum performance. Short flexible masts for dumping air quickly when you need to. Light and easy to setup and take down.
Seems like alot of add ons to make something kind of sail-able
I don't know about others, but for me, it's about the experiment and the possibility of getting something cool out of my own creation.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 22, 2014
I think trying to go up wind in a kayak, sailing is about getting real wet. All the lines and gear are going to make rolling the kayak back up problematic. This happening in 50 degree water with out a dry suit will enhance the experience.

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
Great gift from your wife! I think if you look at some of the boats used in for example the Everglades challenge, you can get some great ideas. I googled images for "boats used in the everglades challenge", lots of cools stuff came up.

Somewhat on topic, somewhat not as this is really a different sport than what is typical for this forum.. The Hobie TI is a little removed from your Pigmy kayak but for about half the year, the Hobie TI is mostly what I sail. Its a mediocre sailboat in a lot of conditions but what sets it apart is the Hobie Mirage flipper drive and enormous easy to use wind range made possible by the Tri and the infinitely reef-able sail. Its too heavy to car top so you need a trailer but its light enough to where you can launch with a trailer and not get the trailer hubs wet. Also a good trailer boat because the setup time is well under 10 minutes so you dont mind doing it often. It has two seats and my wife goes with me every once in a while but I mostly sail it solo from the rear seat. The TI is a down wind master sailed from the rear seat. In a lower wind, lots of sailing in the 4 to 6 knt range and my peak speed has been 11.73 knots (watching a chart plotter readout). I use it mostly to do what I call "water hikes" where you have some destination in mind and it works nice for this because the TI can handle some really wild wind with just a small corner of sail out and you can pedal it of the wind drops. Wife likes to pedal all the time just for the exercise. It can be a wet ride especially for the person in the front seat and we always carry and often use kayak spray gear.

Lots of good video on the internet of these.. here is a recent outing we did on the lower Colorado river where we put in about 20 miles with a destination in mind

The lack of boom was mentioned which is both a good and bad thing. The bad is that the sail shape is poor going down wind. I like to experiment so have been trying "whisker pole" setup with a "barber hauler" loop using the top section of a windsurfing mast. Definitely helps down wind but you can also just go purchase a spinnaker kit for this boat. I have not yet gone the spinnaker route.. but have had some fun messing with the windsurfing mast boom. You need to be able to disconnect the boom in order to reef the sail so I took some funky video of my latest attempt to solve that problem.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I would not say no to that if someone were offering

Looks like a fun ride.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Ken, I inspected the Pygmy Boats in Port Townsend. They have a couple of racks of them there. I think you might be able to rent one. They looked long but a bit unstable. Looked as light as a rowing scull. I read they are Stitch and glue construction Okoume plywood panels. Had the look of strips of Port Orford Cedar.
That's what I'm building now (Pygmy).
I went out and paddled one today. It was pretty nice. Then trying to exit without getting my feet wet, I fell in. Embarrassing.

I've seen small rigs you attach to the a bow of plain kayak. what I was thinking about. They are only a square meter.
Ken

Oct 22, 2014
Yes I know. Likely to be great assistance downwind. Your kayak is steerable and has a long keel. Should be a reasonable tool to accommodate your paddling. I would be afraid of something that wanted to heel my kayak.

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
I have been sailing Kayaks for 25 yrs. 2 ea. 5' plastic pipe, fabric span between. Place base of poles on each side of hips and change angles as needed. I use inflatable kayaks so hips holding the poles is easy. If you use hard kayak, rig a base to hold poles, shiftable for different tacks. Chief

Oct 22, 2014
I imagined that one of the reasons you Kayak is to build up your arm and shoulder muscles. It seems a sail would defeat this health building opportunity.
It seems to be a subversion activity.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
I have been sailing Kayaks for 25 yrs. 2 ea. 5' plastic pipe, fabric span between. Place base of poles on each side of hips and change angles as needed. I use inflatable kayaks so hips holding the poles is easy. If you use hard kayak, rig a base to hold poles, shiftable for different tacks. Chief
Thanks, Chief. It sounds like something I need to try.

Ken

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
This video, I came across, just has some really interesting information for DIY fabrications. Not real relevant to a wooden kayak, but it is about converting a kayak to sail.

-Will (Dragonfly)